Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

so what'cha doing september 10th? I gotta pull the engine out of my 98 ford ranger and replace. blown head gasket and rumored a popped piston. cheaper to just buy a donor motor and swap. 4cyl and easy as pie, just kind of lazy right now...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Doc - I admire the can-do attitude. Post a pic of the whole sled with the rebuilt engine installed. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

More than likely the rave valve is worn and traveling too far,thats what grabed the rings and caused the piston failure.
    04 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes View Post
    More than likely the rave valve is worn and traveling too far,thats what grabed the rings and caused the piston failure.
    That makes some sense as the middle of the valve is chipped. I didn't think the rave valves could travel too far, I will have take a close look at that one
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Wow Doc, nice work. can you do rebuild pics too? Love to see how-to's like like this.

PWI as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes View Post
    HA! I was waiting on you to chime in.

Folks, listen to Mike. He knows his stuff. TRUST ME.

Man, I love this post DOC. I wish I understood more, but I can't help loving learning.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

bump for DOC
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Last night I went in to the shop manual then poked around the engine and found that the TB throttle body to intake manifold rubber boot clamp was not even secured. I could rotate it around the port on the PTO (power take off) cylinder ( the one fried) . On the MAG cylinder (closest to the magneto) the clamp was not tight as well. I bought the doo 3 years ago so I have to think it was like this all the time and I was lucky to have it last this long. So I think with the air leaking in thru this could definitely caused a lean condition and destruction of this cylinder. Contrary to mike above the rave valve cant travel further into the cylinder as it wears imo as there is a definte stop.

The Doo
    DSC04966 by docdrs, on Flickr

loose clamp between TB and Intake manifold

DSC04974 by docdrs, on Flickr

Jugs back from resizing .020 over

DSC04967 by docdrs, on Flickr
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 09-02-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Rave valves were ground back at shop for oversizing of cylinders. I think I'm going to take a little more off the middle of the pto cylinder rave as the clearance does not look as much as the rest of the valve.

DSC04970 by docdrs, on Flickr

DSC04973 by docdrs, on Flickr

pick of inside of doo

DSC04976 by docdrs, on Flickr
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

new rebuild kit

DSC04977 by docdrs, on Flickr
    trial fit of piston, rings wrist pin and bearings

DSC04980 by docdrs, on Flickr
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug