Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Slingshot board - cursed? Done for the year...

So I picked up a great deal on a Slingshot 142 Response a week or two ago. First day riding it I catch an edge during a board slide and do a backwards head plant. Full on seeing stars, whiplash, probably a mild concussion. I lay off the board for a few days to recover.

Wednesday this last week, second time riding the board, I'm able to go W2W on it with no ballast - just passengers. Feeling pretty good but want to get smoother. My last attempt I barely miss clearing it, catch the tip and wham - the board edge catches, board stops immediately and unfortunately I kept going. Foot came out of the front binding (rare for me) and I totally rip all my stomach muscles. Can't breathe, can't talk, just burning and gasping.

4 hours of emergency room xrays and CT scans later they tell me that I over or hyper-extended my abdomen. Nothing looks ripped or broken but I'm going to be hurting for a while. Dope me up on a few shots and some vicodin and send me on my way...

I'm thinking this damn board is cursed! No wonder they were so willing to wheel and deal on it. I'm done wakeboarding for at least the season, maybe even more. Hope to do a little surfing after some more recovery but time is running out...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Wow man that sucks.
    Sounds like that board and you dont play nice together.

I can only imagine abs injury as when you over work your abs when at the gym and they hurt real bad except in your case the pain is much worse and doesnt go away.

I generaly have nexk, lower back, and knee pain after wake boarding and wakesurfing. Went out yesterday and i feel like i got beat up LOL. Kink in my neck, back hurts and both knees hurt but im pretty beat up from playing ball from 16 to 20 and then being a prison officer from 21 to 28 and being in one of the most violent prisons in AZ at the time. Was fun but took a lot of injuries LOL.

Hope you feel better bro and yea id take the wake board and put in the Craigs List lol.
    Last edited by mmandley; 08-29-2011 at 01:48 PM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I'm only 37 - wonder if I'm getting too old for this shtuff... Then seeing me get banged up my kids want to do it even less which sucks. I was trying to tell them I was fine and just needed to catch my breath but they apparently could see right through that bluff.

If you take a digger on a Slingshot it'll be over before you know it was happening. I love my Slingshot Reflex but if you do catch an edge it's not very forgiving to say the least. They are very thin boards with sharp edges. Don't give up on it, it's never the boards fault (kind of like a golfer cussing the golfball). I hyperextended my abs earlier this year as well after I caught a heelside digger trying my first 360. Not a good feeling being 6 feet in the air going backwards after loosing the handle knowing you're going to back slam. I couldn't wakeboard for about 3 weeks. By the way, I'll be 40 in Sept so you're not too old

Berg, sorry to hear that. Hope you heel up fast. And you are NOT too old - let's just say I have a few years on you and I still wakeboard every time I take the boat out (unless it's too rough). It's still my favorite thing to do behind the boat.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Berg the exact same thing happened to me earlier in the year going w2w. I'm pretty stubborn though so after a couple of weeks taking it easy on the water, still hurting I did the exact same thing a second time, took me about 30 minutes just to get up on the back deck. Just a suggestion hit the slalom ski & the surfboard hard, but take it easy on the wakeboard until things heal up. It took me about 5 weeks to build my confidence back up and were my stomach muscle felt 100%. I'm pushing 46.
    Patrick
    '08 Mobius LS. 4 Blade OJ 13x13 Prop.
    Kenwood KMR440U & RC107MR, T600-2 Rockford Fosgate powering 2 Liquid Acoustics 8" HLCD, Kicker SKM10 subwoofer
    5 light- light bar.
    2015 RAM 3500HD Dually 6.7 Diesel w/ Aisin 6 speed tranny
    Live life today!

OUCH Berg! Your right. That board is cursed.........for you! You should sell it.
    Shipping zip is 59106 and I'll take it off your hands

I know how it feels to be getting older. I'm 38 and a little over 2 weeks ago I pulled my Anterior Hip muscle off the bone. I was just slalom skiing and going at it pretty hard when I heard and felt a "pop" on my right hip. Down I went. I couldn't walk for a week and my whole leg turned black and blue and had hematoma pretty bad. I can walk now but my quad, hamstring, abs, and knee ache like you can't believe. Physical therapist says 8-9 weeks recovery at best. I've been reduced to being the driver for the last 2 outings. Maybe a surf before I put the boat away........but we'll see!!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Sorry to hear! You gotta be careful with the brain sprains though... Getting a couple in a row can be more than season ending. Check out shredready.com if you haven't already.

Slingshot boards are still #1 in my book, even the cursed ones.

I have also taking some bad falls with my Slingshot board. Now i always put on a helmet. Have to have somthing to keep the brains in. I do enjoy the board and will keep on using it until somthing better comes a long.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Yeah I was thinking it was a more forgiving board too until it tried to kill me. Definitely easier to pop over the wake than my LF Team 142 was though. I was on a shorter rope, but going W2W with no ballast, just peeps. Couldn't do that with the LF.

Looking back it could have had something to do with cranking my bindings down beyond tight to "stupid" that did me in...