Default Airline/hotel points.......Advice needed............

For those that travel, who is the best as far as what you get for your points??

I have a ton of Delta points simply bc I am in Atlanta and that is who is easiest to use. But I have recently started using AirTran bc Delta has jacked me around too many times. Hate Airtrans seats but their point program is better than Delta's. Wish I was able to fly Southwest more often.

On Hotels, I have been using Starwood for years. Westin's, W's etc. But it seems like I am not getting anything of real value for all these points that take forever to accumulate. I recently added Hyatt to the plan and have been told Marriott is a good one as well.

On average I am in a hotel about 8 days a month, and on a plane about the same.

What say you Moomba Maniacs?
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

I will be interested in responses from those who travel multiple airlines and stay at multiple hotel chains and, therefore, are in a position to compare. I started a regular commute in 2005 and have stuck with American Airlines and Starwood properties. Work okay for me. Just want pre-boarding privilege for a place to put my carry on bag and nice hotel within walking distance of the office.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Tried 'em all over the years and where I lived played a big part in the decision. Living in the Atlanta area, I am almost 100% on Delta because I can get almost anywhere I need to go with a direct flight. And, while their Medallion program might not be the greatest, once you get status it's hard to justify splitting between airlines. BTW - I can't stand getting nickled & dimed by AirTran over exit row seats, aisle seats, etc.

I'm a fan of Marriott because I can almost always find a place to stay close to where I need to be and you have a good selection of price points.

I book all flights & hotels on the respective brand's credit cards as it helps to build points faster then I use them to take the family on vacation.

pretty much delta.. so I maximize with the delta card.
    no real loyalty in hotels..
    Get treated well by National Car rental exec emerald..
    I get most out of the combined Delta CC and using delta.
    Choice hotels usually gets me more nights free than any of the others.. (clarion, comfort, etc.)

FLYin thru ATL in am.. CHIK FILA here I come @ 8:30!
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

For airline it is Delta because they go everywhere i need to fly but almost all the airlines are bad. Would fly Southwest but they do not go into any airports i fly out or into.

For hotels I am a Hilton. I can always find a Hilton or Hamption inn where i go too. The thing i really like is almost all the Hamptions have the same beds. Great beds to sleep in.

Now the thing is who has time to use their points? I have used some of mine for stays at Hilton and it was quick and simple but needed to plan ahead.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

I used my Delta AmEx points to buy both girls an itouch for Christmas last year!

Also, with the Delta AmEx you can get hotel "gift cards" that we use for weekend overnight stays

Drew, is your Amex a corporate card or one that the company provides? I have never had a choice to pick the card I use. Well I guess I could use my own card and just expense it each month on my own, but the trouble to do that isn't really worth it. I am signed up for the AMEX rewards program and really should take a look to see what I have built up.

Starwood hotels have always been fantastic to me so I really do not have any complaints there. I get free upgrades without asking which is nice, and besides that, the staff has always been top notch.

I have heard good things about Marriott from a few different travelers while on the road. They claim their points build up faster than with the promotions they run and two of them said in comparison to Starwood they are far superior. Like Deerfield, I am looking for any opinions on the other chains or even anything you have heard from people on the road.

I want some bang for my buck!!!
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

the cards are my own, but my company covers the annual fees. Much better than the AmEx corp green cards

I have been flying 50K miles or more a year for the past 5 years (and 100K for the last 3 years). United, United Miles card, and Hilton properties have been my home away from home.

Once you reach Premier (25K if I remember right), you get pre boarding and free bag check.
    Premier exec gets you economy plus seating, free bags, upgrades on domestic flights, and pre boarding (50K miles).
    1K gets you pre boarding, free bags, econ plus or better seating for you and your party. Every domestic flight this year has been upgraded to first class.

I tend to like the hilton properties better than the marriott. Workout facilities are better. Beds more comfortable, better linens, better amenities in the room. Embassy Suites, has a free happy hour every evening from 530-730 with beer, wine, well drinks, and snacks. I typically either stay in Embassy Suites or Hilton Garden Inns. Free breakfast as well (cook to order omelets, cereal, breads, waffles, etc).

As for mile benefits, the Star Alliance (United, Continental, US Air, etc) is better than Delta. Round trip flights in the lower 48 for 25-35K points. Mile card gets you 40K points with first purchase. Triple miles for United purchases.

The biggest thing lacking on the United planes is WIFI and power ports. The continental planes have the power ports and better accommodations in first class/business class for the international trips.

Just my experiences. I think the key is pick one and stick with it so you get the status built up and can take advantage of the perks.
    Derek & Poppy
    2010 Mobius LSV Sandrock/Fossil
    Gravity III ballast, wake plate, Z5, LEDs from Oznium (cup holders, helm, transom)
    Exile SX65M Cabin Speakers w/ Exile XM 15.4
    Exile SXT9Q Tower Speakers w/ Exile XM 30.2
    Exile 12" sub w/ XM12.1
    Exile ZLD MKII

I'm changing to Marriott as Hilton will drop off points over time if you don't use them often. I heard if you tell Hilton you're leaving then they will lock the points in.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD