Default Boat full of gas, kids ready, won't start

Like it says in the title.

2003 outback, fuel injected. Gotta be something simple. Need help asap.

Injectors not spraying anything. Put a little gas down throat and motor started. I think I'm not getting voltage at the fuel pump. Anyone have access to schematics?

I was doing some work under the dash (battery was disconnected), hooking up new speedometer wires. I'm pretty sure the "no start" is related to me tinkering in the dash. Everything else seems to have power. Boat was just fine before that.

Whoever posts on this thread please, if possible send e-mail to [email protected], as I'll be tracing the fuel pump wires.
    past---------------2003 Outback SOLD
    present------------2006 Supra Launch 21V

Ron

What, no answer. Man, it's been a whole 10 minutes. Did a little research on the internet and I think I've got the issue resolved.

There's 3 fuses at the back of the engine.
    1. Fuel Pump
    2. Fuel Injectors
    3. ECM

One of them was blown. Hopefully, marina is open and I can get on the water. All I hope is that I caused the fuse to blow somehow.

Ron

Hope it worked out and you were able to get on the lake.

------Sold-------
    2008 MOBIUS LSV - Acme 1847, GIII w/1100lbs Vdrive, IBS, PPSG, Wake plate, Z-5, Kenwood 700U, Kenwood Kca-RC107MR , Exile SXT65, Kicker 700.5, Kicker 350.4, Polk MM651, JL 13.5 Thin-Line Sub.

If not, try the oil pump sending unit. Mine's carb'd, but it caused a no-start last fall. Should be able to just unplug one of the wires on it, right next to the distributor. Don't let it run long in case there actually isnt' any oil pressure though. Either try replacing it or check the pressure.

If you found a blown fuse though, it is probably that...
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)

Yup, definately the fuse. I must have touched something, and didn't notice, while the battery was still hooked up.

Replaced the fuse, and went on the lake, with fingers crossed. Was out for5 hours and fuse held. Thanks for the responses.

Ron

Where are these three fuses?? And which one did you have to replace?

Any idea why it blew? I've always been under the impression that if fuses are blowing it's bc something is wrong.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    Where are these three fuses?? And which one did you have to replace?

Any idea why it blew? I've always been under the impression that if fuses are blowing it's bc something is wrong.
    I found the location of the fuses at the following website
    http://www.indmar.com/About/ContactI...94_2002web.pdf
    page 6-13

I had to replace the fuse that protected the fuel pump.

Yes fuses blow because there is something wrong. In this case it was the hillbilly that didn't disconnect the battery before working around the electrical components. Still trying to figure out where I shorted this circuit under the dash.

In my case it was an obvious issue, but I got a couple of extra fuses just in case. But that wouldn't have helped me if the new fuse blew right away.

I'm curious what it would have cost if I brought the boat into a shop. The fuse was a one dollar part. Where I'm from, I'm sure I would have walked out at least $500 poorer at the best, or would have been told that the engine was bad at the worst.

What I do have to say is that it is much easier troubleshooting an issue when it's right there in front of you instead of over a forum. I can certainly understand why people who post issues get slammed with questions from those trying to help.
    Last edited by rsinger; 08-27-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Ron

glad that was all it was and that you had a great day on the lake

Im thinking 200 bucks. 150 to diagnose the problem. 5 bucks for a fuse and 45 bucks to replace it LOL. Glad you got it going pretty fast. Yea sometimes you have to barrage the person posting the problem with questions to figure it out because you truley want to help but really want to limit what you tell someone to check. As they check each item the Helping person suggests they might be causing more issues LOL
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]