Question 2000 Moomba Mobius V Full Cover?

I just purchased a 2000 Moomba Mobius V (22 feet) with no tower, but plan to have a MT1 installed over winter. I'm looking for cover solutions, as the boat is kept at dock all summer long, and the current cover is more for trailering. Every time it rains we get water in the boat since the cover isn't tight nor is the material of waterproof quality. I tried the evolution covers site, but they don't have measurements for this model. Right now I am planning on going to the local Moomba dealership to see what they have to offer. Anyone have any other recommendations?

for that model year boat and having an aftermarket tower installed, your best bet is to find a local canvas shop and have a custom cover made. I doubt that the dealer will be able to source anything OEM that will match up with the aftermarket tower that would prevent water from entering the boat. But, even a custom one may have issues with water as it's tough to seal up around the tower legs.

Anyone know of any canvas shops in central Wisconsin? I guess my other option is to install a lift with a canvas, but man those things are expensive to install and maintain... almost as much as the work we are doing to it this winter. Oh well... maybe it is worth it?

The current standard cover for Moomba is, as you say, a cover for when the boat is sitting on a trailor or when moored (including at the dock) but not for use when trailoring. They are canvas and black rather than a "sunbrella" material and periodically they must be re-waterproofed. Thompson's Water Seal (yeah ... the stuff used for wood decks) is an inexpensive option to waterproof but I usually suggest that an inconspicuous spot be tested before applying to the whole cover. You also need some support poles inside to keep water from collecting (standard with new covers).

Another option is to get a cockpit cover and a tonneau. These are tighter and snap on but I think the support poles are still required. Again, if purchased from Moomba they are canvas and black.

I have the standard mooring cover but right now store my boat in a shed so don't use it. I have a slip dock ordered and so will need to use a cover soon.

I checked with a local canvas shop on the price for a cockpit cover and tonneau made from sunbrella for my Outback and the price was more or less comparable to the cost of the Moomba cover and I think sunbrella will protect the boat better.

For you, the standard Moomba covers could fit but I suspect that after 10 years the local canvas shop may be your only option. Especially if using sunbrella, be sure the covers include vents.

Richard
    Richard (LakePerson1952)
    2010 Moomba Outback - Loving it!

Does anyone have experience with a monster tower cover? This seems like a cheaper alternative.
    http://shop.monstertower.com/p-122-b...ith-tower.aspx

Bret - I've looked and looked and looked man. Best bet is definitely custom if you want it to fit right and perform right - find someone local so they can measure it up. I've been holding off but will bite the bullet soon for mine. Prices for a custom sunbrella cover ranged from $800-1200 in my neck of the woods. That is for a strapless cover with the sewn in ratchet strap that snugs up under the rub rail all the way around - seen this style on several Malibus. Local guy I'll likely go with said it is towable cover but suggested only for short distances as he has the exact same style on his Sanger. Just need to make sure there is a support pole under the bow and another in the cabin to keep tension on it when it gets pulled tight around the rub rail. Not sure if going to the snap on tonneau style cover for the bow and cabin would be any cheaper or not.

(You'll probably save yourself a few bucks going directly to a top shop boat place rather than through the dealer as they typically outsource it anyway - getting a recommendation may not hurt though)
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...