Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Liquid Audio tower speakers

I've got 4 of these on my boat and am considering replacing them. I think I might be able to get a better sound with a different speaker. Just looking for some feedback from people that have gone through the process.

It's difficult to make a comparison, not hearing what the different speakers sound like on the boat.

Worst case scenario is that I'll have to haul the boat to a dealer and then try what they have.

I've seen some speakers advertised on the forums, but I'm sitting on the fence on weather to commit to a unheard set of speakers.

Thanks for any feedback you folks can provide.
    past---------------2003 Outback SOLD
    present------------2006 Supra Launch 21V

Ron

What speakers are loaded in those Liquid Audio cans? I have the LA's as well, 2 doubles loaded with PolkMM651's and overpowered. I'd say they're really good, but not great. Got to compare to some Wetsounds Pro 80's this last weekend and yet again it got me thinking about upgrading as well...

The Polks just don't project out like I want. In the boat or right around it they sound great - parked on the beach and standing 40-50ft away, not as much. Pretty sold on the HLCD's for my next go round. Either the Kicker 6500.2 or maybe the Samson (chrome version of the Exiles). I want to stay with a polished finish on the cans.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Default Kicker

I had the infinity tower speakers and they were ok for the money. Nothing compared to the wet sounds or exiles. I won a set of the LA double cans with the kicker hlcd on ebay from LA for 440.00. They sound better then the infinity's that were on before and these are underpowered at the moment. I only have 125w going to each can. I am going to upgrade the amp this winter. They are definitely louder and cleaner sounding then what I had before and also reasonably priced.

supra2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    What speakers are loaded in those Liquid Audio cans?
    This is the result of a couple of pm's with bergermaister. I got curious and pulled one of the speakers and here is the result.

They are kicker dx60 speakers

OK now you guys got me into it. I'm starting to do a bunch of reading on specs. Never should have gone down this path.

I'll probably end up replacing the amps, adding a second battery and switch, redoing the sub (again). Where does it end....
    Last edited by rsinger; 08-22-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Ron

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA...!

Hey 98outback - what amp are you currently running the Kicker HLCD's from LA with? I'm curious how they're wired - if I recall Phil from Kicker said you can't get them down to 2ohm unless you add another mid to the mix.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by rsinger View Post
    I'll probably end up replacing the amps, adding a second battery and switch, redoing the sub (again). Where does it end....
    The short answer is that it never ends.... lol! I have replaced my stereo twice this year already. We went with the Exile SXT65's after all the reviews on here and could not be happier. We mostly surf now and they are so clear compared to the wetsounds at close range. We can here them just fine when wakeboarding as well. Don't get me wrong the Wetsounds can be heard clearly a mile away from your boat but I rarely put my 5,280 foot rope on when wakeboarding... We also finally went with the kicker 700.5 and 350.4 amps and have had zero issues with them. I would definitely add a second battery if possible, we have never completely drained one battery where it wouldn't start the boat but it is nice not to ever have to worry about it.

Bust
    Out
    Another
    Thousand

------Sold-------
    2008 MOBIUS LSV - Acme 1847, GIII w/1100lbs Vdrive, IBS, PPSG, Wake plate, Z-5, Kenwood 700U, Kenwood Kca-RC107MR , Exile SXT65, Kicker 700.5, Kicker 350.4, Polk MM651, JL 13.5 Thin-Line Sub.

berg

I still have the old inifinity amp that came with the first set of tower speakers. It is running at 125x2@ 4ohms. I am upgrading it to a kicker amp over the winter. Will be going to the 450.2 so I can run 150 @ 4 ohm load. Even on the 125w they are much better then the infinity speakers I had before.

Rsinger - Interesting read on this thread. Whatever brand you choose you should make sure you properly power the speakers. Often times, (yes even with my brand), guys drop big dollars on the tower speakers and connect a baby amplifier to them and the result isn't so good.

I'd take a look at how you use your stereo and what makes the most sense configuration wise before making a change. HLCD's are going to give you projection back to long distance riders--- read wake boarders, foilers, tubers, (and dudes with 5230ft of rope--haha). Direct radiating tower speakers like the Exile SXT65 for example are going to be optimized more for the party cove, surfers, family applications because they will give you a wide field of sound and fantastic sound quality.

The real key is to put together each stereo zone CABIN / SUB / TOWER so they work in conjunction with each other. many times when Im on the water answering questions for people this is a reoccurring subject. For example, if you put a 2500W sub in the boat and only run the cabin speakers off the deck, how do you think its going to sound? Any guesses? Trust me, I see this a lot. Best advice is look at the whole system when picking your upgrades. Even if its over several seasons, go zone by zone and make sure they will compliment each other.

-Brian
    Exile Audio

Thanks everyone, but I've already started what's probably going to be a slow process. I've already done some reading on the following
    1. HLCD versus traditional speakers
    2. 2 versus 4 speakers on the tower and and db gains using 4 speakers
    3. Setting up/matching amp and head gains to avoid distortion.
    4. Various sub enclosures.
    5. Power ratings on amps and power rating on speakers.
    6. Tons of other stuff

Since I just got the boat last year, the first place I'm going to start is Verifying the head, sub amp, and cabin/tower amps are set up properly and go from there. This is obviously going to be a slow process due to having to re-learn what I took in college about 30 years ago.

At this point I was just wondering if anyone would have a "hybrid" set so speakers on their tower that are switchable (on/off). Pair of Hlcd's for wakeboarders, and pair of direct radiating speakers for close up sound levels. A bit of a radical idea, but you never know.

Anyway, looks like I got some reading to do.

Ron

Never seen a Hybrid setup that has a switch to back and forth between the two. I went down this road with Brian back in the spring and ended up replacing everything in my boat but the head unit. Full Exile system except for my eq which came from WetSounds. It sounded great till about July and then I had to learn the hard way about properly powering the system. Not talking about amps but batteries. My two battery set up with no shore charger was not enough to sustain the power needs of my system. After repeated use and drainage on the stereo battery without ever charging it back up it got so weak that my system would just cut off randomly. I then upgraded and put two group 29 batteries on my stereo bank and one group 24 for starting and i installed a prosport 20 plus onboard charger and I must say my boat is back to making alot of great sounding noise! I can easily drown out all the other boats on the island i park at!
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD