Since my Kenwood unit recently crapped out (getting loud hissing noise thru all six preouts with engine off and head unit volume at 0) I’ve been re-thinking my head unit/wired remote situation and have decided that I don’t need one at all. I never play the radio or a CD – I always use my iPhone as my music source, either playing music thru the iPod app or Pandora. Also, I am getting tired of the undependable Aeware/Kenwood remotes – between the one on the helm and the transom remote, I think I have gone thru 5 of them now.

So I am going to try going with the Clarion EQS746 at the helm and plugging my iPhone directly into that. With this EQ, I get fader control between by cabins and towers, subwoofer level (volume) control, and a master volume control. It has three sets of 7V preouts – front, rear, sub – one set for each of my amps.

On paper, it sure seems like this little EQ will do everything I need and at a fraction of the cost of a head unit ($50 shipped brand new). And I have volume control at the helm so no more need for pesky remotes.

Anyone else do away with their head unit and just running this EQ? If so, how do you like the set up?