Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Its probably a sapphire crystal; they are super hard and most high end watch makers use 'em. I feel off balance when I don't have a watch on. I think its more of a jewelry thing these days, rather than a practical way to tell the time. I still use my watch to tell the time, but I also use my phone (which is seemingly attached permanently to my hand, lol.)
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I read this thread when ian first posted it, and was in a training class the other day daydreaming about boats and this popped into my head. I did a quick survey of the room. 15 people, aged 22-54. only 4 were wearing watches and they were all over 45..

look at the selection of watches at any mass retailer or jewelry store and you will see another industry that the cellphone has affected. heck, I can't even remember the last time I put a watch on. I'm guessing it's been 12 or 13 years. Have a box in the closet somewhere with a dozen or so(including a real nice casio digital with a plastic band) that haven't seen daylight since. maybe someday my winnie the pooh timex will be a collectors item..
    That's a very good observation and consistent with what our 15 year old son reports, that no one in school wears watches anymore. I am a person that is a stickler for being on time so I am always looking at my watch. I don't want to have to reach into my pocket every time I want to know what time it is.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    Its probably a sapphire crystal; they are super hard and most high end watch makers use 'em. I feel off balance when I don't have a watch on. I think its more of a jewelry thing these days, rather than a practical way to tell the time. I still use my watch to tell the time, but I also use my phone (which is seemingly attached permanently to my hand, lol.)
    Crystal, that's the word I was looking for that was escaping me! For me, it's definitely a practically thing as I don't wear any jewelry other than my watch and wedding ring.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I haven't worn a watch in ... well since cell phones started showing time as said. I don't like them on my wrist, especially when it's hot out. And since I'm outside as much as possible that stupid looking pale (translucent) band around my wrist looked pretty stupid to me, especially since i'm always very dark in the spring - fall ;/ Now it's not to say I don't own a nice watch because I do, a very limited edition Bulova that probably cost my wife quite a bit 10 years ago that I only wear to special occasions ... about six times to be exact. I do own one other, a 1920's Elgin still in the original case in mint condition that was my grandfathers given to him by my grandmother. Still has the original foil price tag of $37.50 in the case. Worth way more than that now but it's quite priceless to me.

My brother has lived in Western Austrailia for around 12 years now and has always been enamored with watches for some reason. Anyway he was taught watch and clock repair by an oldtimer there whom owned a shop. Since then he's been collecting valuable and rare broken watches from around the world, repairs them and sells them usually making a mint off each one. In Australia everything is super expensive compared to our prices and it's easy to sell anything vintage US there.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Crystal, that's the word I was looking for that was escaping me! For me, it's definitely a practically thing as I don't wear any jewelry other than my watch and wedding ring.
    This is my wedding watch
    2013 Outback V

Ian - In case they are hard to read:

"Antique 14hr Lucien Piccard automatic wind 'Seashark' wristwatch Swiss-circa 1930's"

"Antique Retro=Modern Benrus wristwatch (circa 1940's)"

The Luscian Piccard was a gift in 1990 and Benrus a gift in 1989.

I love but have not worn them in years. They have a special place in my dresser. They will go to my boys, along with two Waterman fountain pens with which I signed contracts and other legal documents. Not much, but it's what I have. - Stuart
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I too love watches. I am currently wearing a breitling bentley with the white face, i am hoping to give my wife a breathing for our ten year next fall.
    Amazing how durable they are, the face on mine is huge and have never worried about cracking it, and it looks good surfing

My current wish list is a Patek Phillipe.

Nice looking watch BTW
    06 Mobius LS

"I don't want to have to reach into my pocket every time I want to know what time it is."

exactlly - and most people just turn on their cell phone to find out what time it is.

I don't wear or carry a watch. We are constantly being exposed to the time which makes having one sorta useless

We see the time displayed in our cars, on our computers, in front of businesses, on phones, on GPS receivers, etc.

If I didn't have a small hand held GPSR for backpacking, I would carry an analog watch in my survival kit.

That way you can always tell where south is

Quote Originally Posted by FargoDawg View Post
    I too love watches. I am currently wearing a breitling bentley with the white face, i am hoping to give my wife a breathing for our ten year next fall.
    Amazing how durable they are, the face on mine is huge and have never worried about cracking it, and it looks good surfing

My current wish list is a Patek Phillipe.

Nice looking watch BTW
    One of my buddies has the Bentley with a black face. That thing weighs like 5 pounds, wayyy too big for me; I have a ~6" wrist, so anything bigger than 40mm looks ridiculous, lol. But, those are absolutely killer watches, maybe I can wear a womens, haha.
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    "I don't want to have to reach into my pocket every time I want to know what time it is."

exactlly - and most people just turn on their cell phone to find out what time it is.

I don't wear or carry a watch. We are constantly being exposed to the time which makes having one sorta useless

We see the time displayed in our cars, on our computers, in front of businesses, on phones, on GPS receivers, etc.

If I didn't have a small hand held GPSR for backpacking, I would carry an analog watch in my survival kit.

That way you can always tell where south is

Ed, Here is what you need brotha. I believe the Navy Seals use these.....This is the watch that will serve it's purpose whether you are in the super market or swimming through the 2.5 M part of the triathlon. Or when you get finished wakesurfin and then jump back in the boat to dry off and chill out with. ........ You know what I mean Ed.... chhhiiiiiiiiiilllllllll ooouuuuuuuuuutttt...... lol..............Its a very versatile watch. And plus when you start rippin on that Mahogany SG like I am about to do, you dont worry about scratching the beautiful finish....

51cvBLMd1yL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden