Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any watch collectors on here?

I've always loved watches, and I've got several, nothing too extravagant, but L just gave me a Rolex Datejust (my first Rolex) as an engagement gift, and I must say, I can see how this hobby is going to be addicting (and expensive, lol)!

Since I've gotten it I've really had fun reading up on the various factoids about this watch, and others.

Here is a pic;

Blue anniversary dial with Arabic numbers, Jubilee band, and Fluted Bezel. She actually let me pick out exactly what I wanted (the Model was her idea, the colors and options were me.)

Show us whatcha got!
    Last edited by ian ashton; 08-24-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    2013 Outback V

I have an awesome watch that is shapped like a Stanley tape measure - even says "Stanley" in the middle of a yellow circle - just like the tape measures.

Think I got it for sending in three Cheerios box tops.

Keeps very accurate time

I can't figure out how to post pictures on this new forum, but I have a Seamaster from Omega. Nothing ostentatious but classic.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

You know, come to think of it my favorite watch is a Seiko I have that my wife bought me for college graduation. It was only like a $400 watch but it looks nice and performs flawlessly. Plus it carries a sentimental value that can't be replaced. She had been saving for it for a few months and surprised me with it along with a butcher cut filet she had cooked for me the night of my last class. I out punted my coverage fellas.

I to like a few of the Tags. But when you start talking about close to $10K for a watch, I just see too many other toys I could put 10K in. I don't even have a suit that costs near that.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

I have a brother in law who is a president and COO of a company, a brother in law who is a surgeon and a nephew who is a corporate CPA

One day they all went out and bought $30,000 Rolex's.

I just don't comprehend this.

Just way too much over the top for me.

My $8.00 walmart watch (that has no band) keeps as accurate time as theirs.

I don't collect watches (in fact, I don't collect anything) but I do wear a Tag Heuer chrono that my wife got me for my 40th birthday that I wear every day. It's by far the nicest watch I have ever owned, and the most durable.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Wow, wicked nice watch!! I, much like Ed, tend to buy cheap watches as they tend to get destroyed frequently if I wear them, so I really don't bother to wear a watch anymore... I probably couldn't bring myself to wear an uber expensive watch like that, I'd just be too afraid I'd smash it into a wall or railing, car door perhaps, anything with enough mass to make a substantial impact against...
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Ian, very nice. My wife and i exchanged Tag Heuer for our wedding gifts to each other. very nice and very practical. can wear it with a suit or wear it surfing...
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I read this thread when ian first posted it, and was in a training class the other day daydreaming about boats and this popped into my head. I did a quick survey of the room. 15 people, aged 22-54. only 4 were wearing watches and they were all over 45..

look at the selection of watches at any mass retailer or jewelry store and you will see another industry that the cellphone has affected. heck, I can't even remember the last time I put a watch on. I'm guessing it's been 12 or 13 years. Have a box in the closet somewhere with a dozen or so(including a real nice casio digital with a plastic band) that haven't seen daylight since. maybe someday my winnie the pooh timex will be a collectors item..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by KSmith View Post
    Wow, wicked nice watch!! I, much like Ed, tend to buy cheap watches as they tend to get destroyed frequently if I wear them, so I really don't bother to wear a watch anymore... I probably couldn't bring myself to wear an uber expensive watch like that, I'd just be too afraid I'd smash it into a wall or railing, car door perhaps, anything with enough mass to make a substantial impact against...
    I too am very hard on watches - I tend to bang it on everything. So previous to my Tag, a watch would typically not make it a year. And that's why I made the durable comment - my Tag has taken a beating and there are a few marks on the case to show for it. But it's still working perfectly and the glass has not a mark on it. Not sure what kind of glass it is but it's definitely some very hard stuff!
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV