Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Red face iPhone 5 coming to Sprint

Numerous news outlets and forums report Sprint will carry iPhone 5 at launch. This might be the best news all week. And my stock went up 11% after the news broke
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

It's not even going to be 4G! No way I'm investing in another phone unless it's 4G. Funny enough, I was waiting on the I-Phone5 but since it's not 4G, I'm still trying to figure out which phone and carrier I want to go with........

Problem is that I want a phone that will work where I hunt during the winter. Verizon is the only one that comes close. My second concern is speed on the phone and so far T-Mobile is smoking everyone in that area, even Verizon's LTE. Although Verizon's LTE isn't even at my house as of last week. Then lastly, I want to be able to use my phone as a mobile hotspot so I can connect my computer up to it via wi-fi. All the carriers except for T-Mobile charge $10 a month to do that! Ridiculous! If I could only convince TMO that it would be worth it to build some towers out in Greene County, GA.

Sprint is the one carrier I haven't checked much into, but I have their aircard provided by work and it seems to get decent speeds.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

argh, its taking everything i have to not say something about 4g, lol

water ... have you tried any apaps? its been a while ssince i looked. I think PDnet uses cord only. If you already have wifi, could you not setup a network that your phone can log onto? I'm ssuming you are wanting to access files onyour phone from your computer? Or the inverse?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post

water ... have you tried any apaps? its been a while ssince i looked. I think PDnet uses cord only. If you already have wifi, could you not setup a network that your phone can log onto? I'm ssuming you are wanting to access files onyour phone from your computer? Or the inverse?
    I hear ya on the 4G. If you mean that it is not "true" 4G. The thing with the Sprint card is I do not get 4G speeds at my home. But I do like how their signal (for the most part) is dependable. Although lately something has been going on as one day I will have 4 bars and the next 1. They must be messing with the radio stacks. With T-Mobile I get the 4G speeds and it is literally night and day difference in speed. Piggy backing off my wife's phone's hotspot I can get 18mbps down while I get about 2 on Sprint's 3G network. Even when I am in an area with Sprint's 4G speeds the best I have gotten is around 8mbps very briefly. And their 4G flucuates signal horribly. Verizon's LTE is fast, but hardly anywhere and suffers the same fate as Sprint's wi-max in that it won't stay on LTE.

The entire point of me wanting a phone that can have a fast connection as well as be a hotspot is bc I got rid of my cable for internet. So my router is just a box that sits under my desk. I have an aircard for work and phones for a wi-fi spot. We go over the 5 G allowance occasionally, but it just throttled back to 3G and off HSPA+ (or 4G) and I can deal with that.

I do believe Sprint offers truly unlimited data plans without throttling down speed. They are the only ones. AT&T and Verizon both charge for data overage and it's not cheap. Especially when you are using it like I am. On top of that, all the carriers besides TMO charge to use the phone as a hotspot. Sucks.

And the last reason that TMO has me by the short and curlies is bc when I go overseas, they are the ONLY carrier that I can take my phone, connect to a hotel's wi-fi and make free calls back to the States. Not Skype, just the internet. I do not leave the States much, but it has literally saved me hundreds of dollars over each of the past 3-4 years. I just wish they would put a dad gum cell tower by my hunting camp!
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post

I hear ya on the 4G. If you mean that it is not "true" 4G. The thing with the Sprint card is I do not get 4G speeds at my home. But I do like how their signal (for the most part) is dependable. Although lately something has been going on as one day I will have 4 bars and the next 1. They must be messing with the radio stacks. With T-Mobile I get the 4G speeds and it is literally night and day difference in speed. Piggy backing off my wife's phone's hotspot I can get 18mbps down while I get about 2 on Sprint's 3G network. Even when I am in an area with Sprint's 4G speeds the best I have gotten is around 8mbps very briefly. And their 4G flucuates signal horribly. Verizon's LTE is fast, but hardly anywhere and suffers the same fate as Sprint's wi-max in that it won't stay on LTE.

The entire point of me wanting a phone that can have a fast connection as well as be a hotspot is bc I got rid of my cable for internet. So my router is just a box that sits under my desk. I have an aircard for work and phones for a wi-fi spot. We go over the 5 G allowance occasionally, but it just throttled back to 3G and off HSPA+ (or 4G) and I can deal with that.

I do believe Sprint offers truly unlimited data plans without throttling down speed. They are the only ones. AT&T and Verizon both charge for data overage and it's not cheap. Especially when you are using it like I am. On top of that, all the carriers besides TMO charge to use the phone as a hotspot. Sucks.

And the last reason that TMO has me by the short and curlies is bc when I go overseas, they are the ONLY carrier that I can take my phone, connect to a hotel's wi-fi and make free calls back to the States. Not Skype, just the internet. I do not leave the States much, but it has literally saved me hundreds of dollars over each of the past 3-4 years. I just wish they would put a dad gum cell tower by my hunting camp!
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8

-John Wooden

I gotcha. I was using an aircard for my home internet up until a month or so ago. Bought a Xoom and it seems to be working well so far as a hotspot. I haven't checked speeds as I know I'm def not in a 4g spot and I don't believe they have rolled out the update for 4g.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Your air card runs off the same cell towers that a sprint phone would if I'm not mistaken. If you get a good signal and speed with the air card your cell should theoretically act the same. I'm just stoked about another carrier picking it up to see how the big 3 set plans/rates/upgrade incentives etc to get our business/money
    Jason

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

good point jpetty. I wonder if sprint has unlimited plans. i have unlimted data on my phone but was devestated to hear i couldnt get unlimited 3g/4g on the tablet.

As much as these phones do, its not hard to blow threw some data, especially now that we can post pics on moomba with our phone
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Sprint does have unlimited plans KG, in fact I think they are the last company to have an unlimited plan (without being grandfathered in). Check the sprint website for the "simply everything plan". best plan on the market IMO and once sprint officially carries the iP5 it's bon voyage att for me
    Jason

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

I have Sprint unlimited on 4 phones. Plan is cheaper than my basic phone and text was for the 4 phones on VZ. Service is not as good but still decent.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!