newwave1 Guest

Default bottom of hall bilge plug

I keep my boat covered outdoors and water still enters and sits in the bottom of the hull. The weather here is very humid so i always have condensation inside the hull, is there an inexpensive way to install some type of pvc plumbing fitting to keep the water in the hull drained. There is a flat circular area from the factory already on the hull for a bilge plug.

Are you refering to a Plug in the bottom of the Bilge to allow water to drain due to the boat being on the trailer or in a lift? I am having a hard time understanding exactly what your goal is other then just keeping water out.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I keep mine covered outdoors too and have the same problem. After a big rain, water still somehow finds its way into the bilge area which then flows into the ski locker. If I plug the ski locker it stay dry but the water is still in there. I use a lot of damp-rid and haven't had any real issues from it yet, but is still a little annoying. I'm still not really sure where the water is coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by pmoomba View Post
    I keep mine covered outdoors too and have the same problem. After a big rain, water still somehow finds its way into the bilge area which then flows into the ski locker. If I plug the ski locker it stay dry but the water is still in there. I use a lot of damp-rid and haven't had any real issues from it yet, but is still a little annoying. I'm still not really sure where the water is coming in.
    Are you using the factory snap on covers? My factory snap on covers for the main cabin and teh bow leak like sieves... I have do use a second cover to cover the covers to keep the rain out. A cheapo wally world cover is what I use over the top of the snap on covers, it does keep the rain out but it is also a pain to have to install two covers... Someday I will get an Evolution towable cover and be done with the factory and wally world crap...
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

newwave1 Guest

I'm using the factory snap covers, I would like to install a bilge drain plug near the center of the hull like the newer boats have. I don't want to sponge up excess water every time it rains, I keep the bow up high to drain most of the water out of the stern plug.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newwave1 View Post
    I'm using the factory snap covers, I would like to install a bilge drain plug near the center of the hull like the newer boats have. I don't want to sponge up excess water every time it rains, I keep the bow up high to drain most of the water out of the stern plug.
    thanks
    What year and model of boat do you have?
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Also, just an FYI, I have the center bilge drain plug on my boat, while it is nice it does not allow all the water to drain as the inside mounting plate is obviously more elevated than the top of the hull floor so water still pools in the bilge. No amount of jacking the bow up on my boat up helps as there is a lip on the rear bilge drain as well. If it gets that wet in the boat it takes a shop vac to get it out, or leave the engine cover + vdrive cover + floor access panel to center bilge drain plug open to air out on a nice hot windy day... I gave up using the rear bilge drain and just leave that plug in at all times...
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by KSmith View Post
    Are you using the factory snap on covers? My factory snap on covers for the main cabin and teh bow leak like sieves...
    My Moomba Factory Cover (mooring cover - not cockpit and tonneau) is canvas rather than Sunbrella and it is my understanding that factory cockpit and tonneau is the same. I plan to have a local canvaser make a sunbrella cockpit and tonneau for me (color matched and waterproof). Anyway, I also have a cruiser with lots of canvas. Over time, the standard canvas covers loose their waterproofing and need to be "re-waterproofed". For me, Thompson's Water Seal, the stuff you use to seal wooden decks on your house, works well and is inexpensive compared to other solutions. Be sure to test a small inconspicuous area first.
    Richard (LakePerson1952)
    2010 Moomba Outback - Loving it!

The factory snap covers are probably working for you just fine - unless they did lose their waterproofing. The problem with those covers is the cabin snap cover snaps to the windshield frame, instead of below it. Rainwater runs down the windshield, over the snaps, and into the very bottom of the frame. The frame acts like a rain gutter, and channels the water around to the walk-thru windshield where the frame is open. This is where the water gets in, at least, that's where it was coming in on mine. And if it's a heavy rain storm, then, yeh, you'll have lots of water. I do the two cover thing, factory snap and factory full boat cover. It's kind of a pain to do two covers, but it doesn't take all that much time to put the full factory cover on. An evolution cover would be the best, since it towable as well, but, well, this works for me right now!
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.