Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailer wheels bowing out?

I never noticed this before but seems like my wheels might be bowing out a little bit. I only noticed it because someone else was looking and pointed it out and seemed to imply his did the same thing and it was by design. Now that I'm looking at it though it's bugging me. Are these normal for an 06 single axle or do I need to get this fixed up? The pictures weren't taken perfectly level but you can still see what's going on I think.

IMG_1704.jpgIMG_1705.jpgIMG_1706.jpgIMG_1707.jpg

Its actually by design. The axle is the suspension and it also uses the tires as a sock absorber. If you ever pull a trailer with fancy wheels and low profile tires you will notice how harsh the ride can be for the trailer and boat. As long as the tires are properly inflated and you dont see wear on the inside or outside of the tread then there is nothing wrong with it at all. Also when you look at the front tires they play tricks on your eye because of you back up with a dual axle trailer and turn at all the front axle tires will flex as they are actually drug on the ground. Yours looks like a single axle and with that you also have more weight on the one axle and as you keep adding weight the axles will bow out more. Your axle is carring 2x the weight as my duel axle so my tires dont bow out at all.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

pmoomba, I had an 06 OBV with the single-axle as well. It had the oil bath Reliable-brand hubs. Mine did not bow out (negative camber) like yours. I can't say whether anything is wrong with yours, but I thought I'd post my experience for your reference. From the looks of the pictures above, I would not think that's normal. The suspension of the trailer is a torsion axle, which should be an up-and-down motion of the wheel, not in an out. Do you trailer the boat over-loaded (ballast tanks not empty, tons of gear, coolers, etc). the SA axle should be rated for 6,000 lbs (can't remember the placard on the axle should say), but each axle on the DA trailer is 3,750. It's not double the capacity, but in total is more than the single.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Our 07 is doing the same thing. Boatmate blamed me for hitting curbs bending the spindles. Funny thing is it has never hit curbs much less on both sides.
    I thought about switching the left one for the right and vice versa, it might bend them back straight. My tires are wearing on the inside as well.
    2007 Moomba Outback V
    2015 F-250 PSD CC

2012 Fuse 40 T-bar
    Sky Ski Le-38
    XXX front wing
    UFO rear wing
    Evo tower

Thanks for the info, sounds like the jury is a little out. I don't tow with anything but a full tank of gas and a little gear (no ballast full, etc), and haven't been running over curbs. I will have to double check the tire wear when I get home.

murraymoomba, are you concerned about your 07 and/or getting it taken in to be worked on? I don't have a dealer nearby (2.5h or so) but have a few general marine places that also service trailers. I'd hate to leave it unchecked and wind up on the side of the road or worse.

Same here. I think something is wrong but my dealer assured me they would not break off. I checked on new spindles and they were about $300. I think it would be an easy swap. Thats why I thought about switching sides. My local mechanic said he could put the new ones on for me. I'm still on the fence about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by pmoomba View Post
    Thanks for the info, sounds like the jury is a little out. I don't tow with anything but a full tank of gas and a little gear (no ballast full, etc), and haven't been running over curbs. I will have to double check the tire wear when I get home.

murraymoomba, are you concerned about your 07 and/or getting it taken in to be worked on? I don't have a dealer nearby (2.5h or so) but have a few general marine places that also service trailers. I'd hate to leave it unchecked and wind up on the side of the road or worse.
    2007 Moomba Outback V
    2015 F-250 PSD CC

2012 Fuse 40 T-bar
    Sky Ski Le-38
    XXX front wing
    UFO rear wing
    Evo tower

was worse than yours, more camber, I took my trailer with boat to a trailer sales place and they fixed it up including fixing some of the electric brake wiring that had been pinched for about $250, I dont know what they did but it is now less camber and the reassurance an "expert" gave me was enough for me to pull it 8 hours with no problems.
    note: I had no funny wierd wear on the tires.
    06 Mobius LS

Only the rear axle tires bow out like that on my 16' flat bed trailer and my boat (both tandem axle trailers). no weird wear that i've noticed on either one, and bearings are good on both.
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)

Both axles on my tandem bow all over the place in different directions when make tight slow speed maneuvers.

Also, I have a buddy with a single axle boat mate on it looks like his trailer rides waaayyyy higher up than my tandem. is this normal or are my torsion axles about to bust???
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

For what it's worth, I took it to a dealer that's a little closer (not an SC dealer, but work on trailers and some of their boats use boatmate) to be inspected, and they found no issues.