Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default iPhone 4; into the lake...

So, I go on my boat virtually every day, always with my phone, and I've never even gotten it wet. Today I ran out to the marina to make sure the cover was on and the ropes were tied since we put it away in the dark last night, and (whilst wearing a suit) I managed to drop my phone into the lake. It was submerged for about a minute, but it is still on! I can see when people call and text, but the touch screen isn't working, so I can't unlock or reply. I'm pretty amazed actually.

I have it 'soaking in rice' right now, hoping it comes back to life, at least short term until the iPhone 5 comes out, it would suck to buy another 4 a month or 2 before the new release.

I'm sure many others have had similar experiences, lets hear your stories of stupidity!
    2013 Outback V

Sorry to hear it. Don't worry too much if you have to get another i4. You can sell it in a heartbeat on Craigslist and get your money back. In fact, that's where I'd look for the temporary one.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Its took about 48hrs for my 3Gs to come back to life after being in the water for approx 1 minute. I did the rice in a bag thing and the only thing was one of the speakers no longer worked.

Good luck!!
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

I have 2 contingency plans, if the rice doesn't work; 1 is that a buddy of mine thinks he has his old 3GS from when he switched from ATT to VZW - if he does I'll swing by his house and pick it up tonight. If not, I'll go get another iPhone 4 and use it until the 5 comes out, at which time I'll give L my iPhone 4, and I'll get the 5 (nearly the exact same thing I did with my 3GS when I got the iPhone 4, lol)

Luckily I started using GoogleVoice, so I can retrieve my incoming calls on my office and home line while the mobile is out of commission!
    2013 Outback V

Well the touch screen is working! The speakers are not yet functional, lol. At least I can text! Back into the rice she goes!
    2013 Outback V

This isn't all bad ... sounds like a great time to convert to Droid It is usually recommended to take the battery out but ......

My wife dropped hers right in the wine glass a couple weeks ago. Bag of rice and we are up and running the next morning.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

About a month ago we were out at the lake and we had launched at the marina about half a mile from the lake house by water. We decided to just leave the truck at the marina and drive the boat to the lake house to meet my girls parents since we were not planning on being out very long. The cove the lake house is in is shallow and slowly slopes to deeper water and we don't have a pier yet so I use an anchor buddy to keep my boat put. I had dropped the anchor buddy attached to the front of the boat, and I had jumped out the back of the boat with a long line to tie to shore. When I jumped in the water was about was deep and the anchor buddy was stretched pretty good and I need more rope to get to shore so I asked my girl to bring me the other rope out of the boat. While I was waiting on her the anchor buddy pulled the boat out to slightly deeper water and she did not notice. She had her purse with both of our Iphone 4s in it around her shoulder, a cookie cake (it was my birthday) in one hand, and the rope in the other and jumps out thinking it is only waste deep. Well the water immediately goes up to her chest and dunks the purse submerging out Iphones. They were under water for maybe 15 secs but the damage was done. Did the whole rice thing and hers would not come on and mine would come on but shut off after about 3 minutes. Went to the apple store the next day and they took care of us, 2 refurbished iphone 4s at no charge.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

^^ like the apple dig, throw it in while you can huh...lmao dont think he"ll ever switch to droid thou!

if she dont come back to life grab you a cheap one off craigslist and wait a month or so for the iPhone 5. looks like 09.29 pre-orders will start with public release/delivery 10.7 or so
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Ian,

Isn't there a bit more to the story that you would like to share?

he, he, he . . . . I read your fb post.

So, I will share my phone in the lake story. .

I was playing a bit of hooky from work and stayed out at the lake home on a Monday. We had a Mgt calls on Monday afternoons, so decided to get some time out on the lake in the morning. Realized that my phone was in the house so I asked my younger daughter to run up and grab it. I kept it in one of those holster things and as she was bouncing back down the steps to the dock, swinging her arms, my NEW Blackberry Storm every-so-gracefully extracted itself from the holster and kerplunked into the lake. Her eyes went as wide as could be and she just stood there, staring into the now empty holster. I scrambled to find some goggles and dove the 8ft or so to the bottom and found the phone. Tried the rice trick, but not so lucky for me. Had to take the conferece call that afternoon from my wife's pink Razor.