Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surfing Help

Default Surfing Help

Any suggestions for improvement here would be great, I have an O8 LSV with a 750 in the left V-Drive locker and the stock 400 ballast bag in the ski locker. I am still struggling at trying to surf with no rope, my question is do I need more ballast or, could it be that I am to fat for surfing weighing in at a solid 230? I have toyed with the idea of taking the spare 400LBs fat sac and filling it up and placing it in the boat as well. Any suggestions would be great, it is really starting to frustrate me.

Chad Patten

Wake 3.1.jpg
    08 LSV, Perfect Pass, Grav III, 325 Indmar Assault and I love it!

what board are you trying to ride?

i would definietly get another 400 or 750 and throw on the surf side in the cockpit

Hey Chad - doubt you're too big of a guy... As mentioned you will definitely benefit from a bigger wave being a heavier rider = more ballast on the surf side. I've seen guys at 250lbs free riding. Also you ever see someone double riding a surf with one of their kids you know they're pretty heavy.

Also, being able to free ride can depend on your board size. A bigger board will be your friend for sure. A bigger wave will handle a bigger rider as well as smaller boards. Smaller waves usually require bigger boards for biggers guys to find and hold the sweet spot. Technique factors in there as well.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Default Surfing Help

I am riding a liquid force Custom 4-10, I really like the board but can't seem to get to a point of releasing that handle.

your ballast set-up is fine.

You simply need to find the proper stance on your board, and learn the gas/brake routine

I disagree. That's a pretty short board for a big guy.
    Add the 400lb to your surf side and/or try a bigger board, especially if you can borrow one, and give it a go.
    Last edited by bergermaister; 08-17-2011 at 01:33 PM.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Yup, that board is too small for the push you are getting. I'm trying to drop a few pounds right now cuz my board keeps getting smaller.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I missed the size of your board when I wrote my response.

I agree with all, that is a small board for your size - for learning.

Get a longer...THEN work on stance

Quote Originally Posted by cpatten View Post
    I am riding a liquid force Custom 4-10, I really like the board but can't seem to get to a point of releasing that handle.
    I have a 2006 LSV with and surf with the same set up as you - 750 in the rear and 400 in the front - and can freeride all day on a 4'-9" custom board. But I weigh 175 and I know I would have trouble if I weighed 230. I think you need to get a bigger board (something around 5'-3" to 5'-6" and/or run more ballast. I have a 5'-3" CWB Ride that lots of people have been able to freesurf with, some around 200 lbs. Suggest you get the 1100 for the rear and possibly more weight for the bow or the observer seat. Or just bring more people with you.

I think you could eventually get there with your current board but it will take you longer.

And yes, taking your other 400 and placing it on the surf side rear corner seat would help a bunch.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Default Board Size

Thanks for all the feedback, is something like a 5'11" a big enough board?