Thread: Steering cable

Default Steering cable

I have noticed over the last few seasons my steering is getting tighter and tighter. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? If I need to replace does anyone know the part number and how hard is it to do?

I have a 2005 Outback.

Thanks!

Have you put any grease on it at all? I put grease on mine back by the rudder and grease the rudder. Are you in salt or fresh water? I don't leave any water in my bilge after I put the boat back on the trailer. I sponge it out. Just some ideas.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

I had my cable get so tight that I had to steer with both hands. I ordered a new cable through my dealer and replaced it myself. It was a fairly easy job. If you do it, make sure you turn your steering wheel so that the cable gets fully retracted before pulling it out or you may not be able to pull it through all the turns it has to make.

Here's a thread about a way to lube it. I replaced mine before it was posted or I would have tried it.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....steering-cable

I've found the best way to search the forum now is through Google. You can search for something like

steering cable site:moomba.com

and find some good threads about it.
    05 Mobius LSV - gravity 3 ballast and wake plate
    single axle trailer
    DIY hot water shower installed
    DIY tube inflator installed