Default Options to get the remote going

I purchased a 2003 LSV, and the remote is not hooked up. It is the stock remote [1] which appears to be for kenwood only. Is that correct, that I would need to get a kenwood head unit? Or, is there some other way to get a remote (in that hole) working?

Looking forward, if I wanted to put tower speakers on some day.. does the head unit matter that much? Or is it a matter of additional speakers, amps, batterys?

Thanks!

-- bk

[1] http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart...cat=284&page=1
    2003 Mobius LSV Gravity Games
    Total Noob running 1100 in the center, 750s in the lockers.
    JL JX360/4 powering 6 Infinity 621m speakers

Quote Originally Posted by bkearney View Post
    Is that correct, that I would need to get a kenwood head unit?
    I'm going to say yes, maybe you can mod a remote for different head units, but for a DIY guy you'll need a Kenwood HU.

Quote Originally Posted by bkearney View Post
    Looking forward, if I wanted to put tower speakers on some day.. does the head unit matter that much? Or is it a matter of additional speakers, amps, batterys?
    Thats a big question. What are you looking to get out of your head unit (ipod, sirius, USB, external remotes, etc...). For tower speakers you'll need an amp, so your head unit isn't going to affect those that much, I mean you do have some capability of tuning the towers by the head unit, but it would be recommended you just use the amp for tuning or eq. I could go on... it basically boils down to what your looking to get out of a head unit and go from there.
    2004 Moomba LSV Blue

The most important thing on a Head Unit is the Pre Out voltage for your RCA. You absolutly need 3Vs but its prefered you have 4V or more. This comes into play when your are sending the signals to the amps. The larger higher end amps will need to see that higher Voltage to produce a better signal to the speakers.

You can get away from this by using a http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/WS-420.html
    This will then also give you the option of controling your towers seperate which really is a must on most larger boat systems.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]