Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lemon law for boats??

Is there such a thing as a lemon law for boats in Florida? I hate to admit it but I'm about at the end of my patience with my 05 Mobius XLV. I've been a staunch Moomba supporter and this is my second Moomba boat. The first I had for 300 hours of trouble free wakeboard fun. But in the five months I've had my new XLV and after 70 hours of riding I'm still having some of the same issues I had on delivery day.

Delivery day: Wakeplate did not work at all.
    : Stereo remote no go.
    : Front ballast bag no go.
    : Rear ballast bag fittings pop out.
    : Perfect Pass- no speed indidation.
    After several trips to the dealer and several prime boarding days lost while it sat in the shop the Wakeplate still does not work. The rear ballast fittings have popped out and flooded my boat so many times that I've disconnected them, plugged them, and now fill them by hand with pumps. I'm concerned about carpet damage now that it's been soaked so many times. And last month my oil pressure guage FELL OUT of the dash. My dealer said that the dash needs to be replaced and that the hole was cut too big. So the boat sat for three weeks waiting for parts. Finally I had to tell the shop that I'd rather have a partially functioning boat than no boat at all. I mean, I'm making loan AND insurance AND storage payments on a boat that I can't even use.
    So now I'm driving around with an oil guage DUCT TAPED in place, no wakeplate, and a non functioning ballast system. because A) Summer is about to end. B) I'm making all those payments while no work gets done because they're waiting on parts. C) I love wakeboarding and boating even though when I take other people in my "new" boat all they see is duct tape and my messing with pumps and hoses which was the whole point of buying a dedicated wakeboard boat..
    I don't know what the deal is here. I've been about as patient as I can possibly be. At this point I'm about to give up on this boat and my confidence in Moomba is waning. If there's a boat lemon law then I'd be very interested in it.

Default Replying to Topic 'Lemon law for boats??'

Actually, the dealer has been really good about repairing things as quickly as they could, and getting me back the boat for use.
    The problems I'm having are with the ballast fittings, which I believe to be a mismatched bag/fitting setup from the factory, the dashboard through which the oil pressure guage FELL THROUGH, again, a factory item for which I'm awaiting parts for almost a month now, and the wakeplate, for which the dealer is awaiting parts. The problem, in addition to the intial breakage while out on the lake time and time again, is with getting the parts needed to make the repairs.
    I'm getting to the point at which I don't really care what the cause of any of these problems is. The basic loss of my boat, for which I'm making payments to insurance, storage, and a boat loan, is the real issue, no matter what the cause. If I hadn't asked the dealer to rig the oil guage and give me the boat as is with the other problems then the boat would be going on it's fourth week straight in the shop awaiting parts and going on seven weeks in the shop out of less than four months of ownership.
    I'd like to be able to chalk these things up to some easy fix, like going to another dealer for repairs. But a three hour trip to Orlando would only cost me more in gas as long as they can't get the parts to fix what's broken.
    I know 45K is relatively inexpensive for a tournament wakeboard boat. So, I've tried to be patient because the boat is awesome when it works. But 45K is still a lot of money to give for so much frustration.

Sounds like the dealer didn't do a very good job of prepping the boat and making sure everything worked properly before delivering it to you. I know that most parts are in stock at the factory and usually only take two to three days for shipping. The longest I've ever waited on my boat for any repair was one week. Sorry to here about your troubles but try to hang in there.

With 4 Months of Use on My 05 XLV

NEW ENGINE
    Swim Platform fell off. (screws stripped out)
    Trailer Jack Broke
    Perfect pass, will not read boat speed under 20 mph
    Fitting keeps popping off front bag (used locktite last night, tried teflon tape and silicone)
    Rear bags were filling by themselves, and then would only empty 3/4 of the way
    Depth finder quit working
    Sub blew
    Amp Turns off when hot
    Front Window would not close
    Hindges broke on the back rests going to the bow

I think the wake plate is the only thing left to break. Hopefully the bugs are about all worked out. My dealer is only 2 miles from my storage unit. But i still feel your pain. I think i have had even worse luck then you :P My dealer has been so great to me, that I have yet to loose my cool. If you have not yet purchased the extended warranty, GET IT!!!

Chpprpilot:

I think your next person should be a lawyer that deals with auto lemon laws. I am sure that he would find applicable marine laws. You have got some serius quality issues. I have an 01 Outback LS, the speedos don't stay fixed, the rear ballast has crapped out twice and the fuel guage is innacurate. I have had people say "all boat guages are faulty". I had a 93 Chris Craft and the gauges as well as the electronics worked fine. I will keep this boat for awhile because it's paid for and boats are expensive. But you get what you pay for. Moomba = lower price and lower quality. There is no mirricle in Moomba. In order to get the price low somethings got to give (quality). By the way 45k is a lot of money. Best of luck,

Sloppy (former Marine CH-46 pilot)
    Sloppy

2001 Moomba Outback LS w/tower, ballast and 320hp Indmar TBI. 4 blade prop, front and rear ballast

I feel for you guys that are having issues. My Outback has been exceptional, with the only issues self inflicted (other than the anti-siphon sticking). This is my 2nd boat, and yes it is less expensive than some of the other ski boat lines. For the money, the fit and finish is quite good. Besides, check out the MS, Malibu, and other BB's for issues. You will see there is little difference. They have their probs, also.
    Hope this helps
    Butta
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

I feel the need to chime in here.I bought an 03 Outback LS brand new.We are on our third summer and have over 200 hours on the boat.Other than a few minor initial problems the boat has been flawless.Just my 2 cents.
    jy

Glad ya feel the need. JY. I wish I could be more encouraged by the lack of problems some have with Moomba. Unfortunately a good positive attitude and "success stories" from others won't get the problems fixed on the boats. If you are one of the unlucky that have these, others "encouraging words" about their lack of problems will be of little help. My boat cost very little as compared to others. I bought it new. It is very apparant why the cost was low. Getting back to the original question in the forum. Does anyone have any further recommendations of handling Lemon Boat Laws for Chppr Pilot?
    Sloppy

2001 Moomba Outback LS w/tower, ballast and 320hp Indmar TBI. 4 blade prop, front and rear ballast

Lemon Laws are state laws. All are different.
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

chopper/sloppy,

I am so sorry to hear of your issues. Our staff is out of town this weekend, at our annual dealer meeting (in florida) to intro the new 06's. If you can email me at [email protected]. I will get our service tech on your issues asap upon their return. Again, my apologies

Rick