Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

One idea, if you tow them-run the tow rope thru some pvc pipe-say 2 10' sections so there back atleast 20' and when you slow down that will keep them from hitting the back of the boat.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

We want to see some pics of your end result as well as these areas where you are kayaking!!!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Another interesting thought, thanks Daze! My main concern with towing the kayaks is submarining the kayaks while under power, smashing the kayaks violently into one another and then banging them into the boat is a concern too of course. I suppose I could use PVC and ropes to make poles to run between the kayaks kind of like a catamaran , but then there would be issues with front to back stability between the two kayaks as connection points would be flexible...

Yeah, I'll post some pics once I get this done. I ordered some parts so when those start coming in I'll start tearing them apart and modifying them to my plan.

I don't know if the areas we end up going to are going to be all that spectacular, but we'dd get some pics anyway as we are photo buffs too and can't do anything without at least a digital point & shoot tagging along. The heavy photo gear is reserved for more serious photo expeditions. Often we scout an area first with point and shoots and if we encounter interesting material we revist loaded for bear.

Maybe I should just buy a canoe with a 5HP motor... naaa... where is the fun in that
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

My thought: find some way to mount the Yakima rack to the top of the tower. You're the King oF Clamps (still mad I didn't do my Monster Cargo that way) then tie off the front of the kayaks to the bow eye or grabrails and the rear to the ski pylon.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    My thought: find some way to mount the Yakima rack to the top of the tower. You're the King oF Clamps (still mad I didn't do my Monster Cargo that way) then tie off the front of the kayaks to the bow eye or grabrails and the rear to the ski pylon.
    King of Clamps LOMA

Funny you should mention tower mounting. It had crossed my mind, really, but I end up dismissing it as I have my doubts about the tower being able to handle the additional stresses for the extra 100+ pounds of weight it'd put on in, and also the gap between the tower crossbars on the OBV tower is quite small, it'd be an issue not having enough spacing between the saddles I think.

I get enough shake in the tower already at times when in heavy chop or wakes from traffic...

I had also briefly consider some mounting method along the sides of the tower but decided it'd impair my view too much...

I also thought about a rack to sit on the swim platform and hang teh kayaks across the back sideways, but then the ends of teh kayaks would stick out to the sides and become of a sail which I didn't like that thought...

So above the sun deck becamce my focus running the kayaks parrallel to the boat, which will intrude into teh cabin but we'll only be doing this when it is just the wife and I and once the kayaks are launched we are then free to move about the cabin

I got some of the parts today, so far so good in initial fitment... time will tell when I get the rest of the parts, but I'll get started on modifying the crossbars tonight
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

How about just letting the yaks hang off the rear-part on the boat and the other end draggin in the water?
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    How about just letting the yaks hang off the rear-part on the boat and the other end draggin in the water?
    My God Man you can't be serious, and lose a chance to over engineer a solution!! Where is the fun and challenge in that
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

That was a simple/cheap plan. Not how I would do it. If I cant get it to cost about 5 times the budget then something is wrong

I'd have those yaks strapped on top of the tower with another rear support over the transom like your wanting
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    That was a simple/cheap plan. Not how I would do it. If I cant get it to cost about 5 times the budget then something is wrong

I'd have those yaks strapped on top of the tower with another rear support over the transom like your wanting
    LMAO, we must use the same engineering principles, take budget, multiple by at least 5, devise means to expend new budget

By the time I'm done it will either not work or it will be able to support another Moomba...
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Oooo new addition, perhaps a swinging crane to assist in deploying yaks... yeah yeah that;s the ticket... controls in cockpit and a wireless remote... Hmmmm could use it to haul my dog outta the water too
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V