Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sub location

Default Sub location

Ok yall... where is the best location to mount a 10" or 12" sub on a Mobius LS?

While its not always the easiest installation for a larger woofer, the best location by a country mile is under the driver's helm console.
    Other compartments, whether the port locker or rear locker, are going to overtax the woofer and amplifier trying to overcome the enclosed environment...even with some venting. You can still get tons of shake, boom and rumble from those locations but you'll only achieve a truly musical sounding subwoofer under the dash.

David
    Earmark Marine

What he said....... No seriously, I did not ever want a speaker blasting up at me while driving and my peeps wanting the music loud. But after several trial configurations it is the best place to put and have it sound good. Also you don't lose any storage space at all since that was never a good place to store things anyway. I went with a 13" JBL that requires very little airspace so the box is hella small for a sub that hits so hard. I get compliments on it every single time I am out on the lake. I am also 6' tall and have not noticed a loss of much leg room at all. I really never even notice the box is there. Hope that helps.

------Sold-------
    2008 MOBIUS LSV - Acme 1847, GIII w/1100lbs Vdrive, IBS, PPSG, Wake plate, Z-5, Kenwood 700U, Kenwood Kca-RC107MR , Exile SXT65, Kicker 700.5, Kicker 350.4, Polk MM651, JL 13.5 Thin-Line Sub.

I was thinking that was the best place... just wanted to confirm... we are test driving on Sunday... and if we buy it... the first thing I will do is put a sub in! BTW I have a really clean '83 MC S&S for sale! If anyone wants a good ski boat!

Ok... gonna order one today... not sure if I should get the "square" or Round Kicker 12" sub. The Square ones are twice as much??? So, I am guessing all that is needed is a front facade to hold the speaker.

Just a facade? Absolutely not! The Kicker subs are not an infinite baffle type and even if they were a facade in no way constitutes an infinite baffle. You have to have total front to rear acoustic isolation with any type of subwoofer. That means the facade would have to be completely sealed around its entire perimeter...not to mention that baffle rigidity is also very important. You are definitely going to need an enclosure, whether sealed or bass-reflex and the available enclosure displacement will dictate the right woofer selection. Choosing a sub before the enclosure is putting the cart before the horse.

David
    Earmark Marine

Depending on whether you want to build a box that will fit that space (which certainly looks nicer/more custom but takes some more time/planning), I went with the Kicker SKM-10. It's fully contained and I think still looks really good under the driver's console though certainly not as custom/integrated as some of the boxes I have seen here. It's super easy to install. Might be an option for some..just depends on what you prefer. Don't have any pics handy but like others have said it leaves plenty of room for your legs and sounds great.

Hutch
    '06 Mobius LSV

Ahhh... I can see where the built in would look better... but I like the "plug and play" aspect of getting an enclosure...

I had a Kicker COMP VT 12" under my helm and it POUNDED! Didn't require mush space at all. I'm 6'2" and with the seat all the way back I could almost stretch all the way out and the sub was not in the way. We were still even able to store bags of towels there in front of the sub.
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

E4Nash... I have another thread going about garage stowing... do you put yours in the garage...if so is it on a super drop hitch? We have the same boat... just a few years apart.