Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf Wakes

My second outing since the rebuild and first attempt at a surf wake. Storms rolled in quickly & didn't get a chance to tweak much with the wake plate, speed, ballast, etc. But looks like the makings of a surfable wake...

1 x 400# rear ski locker
    2 x 450# under convertible rear bench
    1 x 750# on port floor next to engine
    1 x 400# under port bow (the starboard bow 400 was missing a plug so couldn't fill it)

wake plates ~ 1/2 way
    ~10 mph (uncalibrated speedos)

First Surf Wake.jpg
    89 Supra Saltare Restoration Project

Anyone ever tank on a huge amount of water (either side or bow) from a really loaded boat? Whenever I look at some of the weight in the boats I think all that needs to happen is for the boat to get a little rolly, dip under the waterline on a wave and your done for.

Taken small amounts over the bow with the 07 obv. It was just so low,then added 750 rear, 400 locker and 650 ibs up front. I swam around the bow when loaded and I swear I only had 4 to 6 inches above the water.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Not much more than a heavy splash with the XLV. Not often at all.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Little over the bow every now and then with the lsv, once got about of inch or two rolling down the walkway. Scared me a little but that was operator error
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Same here have had water sloshing around the cockpit. With my load i can really only surf first thing in the morning.

Never taken any over the side but I could see that day coming. Take a little over the bow fairly regularly when running weight in the nose. Have taken a few inches over the bow before and that was sorta spooky. With the playpen front it went right across the cushions, up over the windshield and doused me and everyone in the cabin. Never once felt like we were going under though.

Worst part ended up being that we did not have a single dry towel after that.

With all my ballast completely full I'll take water over the entire stern half way up onto the sun deck when I come off a plane if I don't watch it.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Big surf wave = big rollers your going to take one over the bow occassionally. 5-8 gallons of water bouncing around the bow and rushing down the walk way is a site to see.

We have been running 2800 lbs of ballast in our '08 LS this summer and there have been a few close calls with it coming over the side, but that was when the water was rough and with a lot of boats in the main chanel creating some large rollers.
    Patrick
    '08 Mobius LS. 4 Blade OJ 13x13 Prop.
    Kenwood KMR440U & RC107MR, T600-2 Rockford Fosgate powering 2 Liquid Acoustics 8" HLCD, Kicker SKM10 subwoofer
    5 light- light bar.
    2015 RAM 3500HD Dually 6.7 Diesel w/ Aisin 6 speed tranny
    Live life today!

Quote Originally Posted by sybrmike View Post
    My second outing since the rebuild and first attempt at a surf wake. Storms rolled in quickly & didn't get a chance to tweak much with the wake plate, speed, ballast, etc. But looks like the makings of a surfable wake...

1 x 400# rear ski locker
    2 x 450# under convertible rear bench
    1 x 750# on port floor next to engine
    1 x 400# under port bow (the starboard bow 400 was missing a plug so couldn't fill it)

wake plates ~ 1/2 way
    ~10 mph (uncalibrated speedos)

First Surf Wake.jpg
    that surf wave looks great
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV
    Stereo: Kenwood KMR-D562BT
    Ballast: 750 Surfside locker, 400 Surfside mid boat, 400 Gravity I, 400 Bow
    Surfboards: Inland Surfer Red Woody, Triple X Composite X 58"[/SIZE]

Hey guys I upgraded my ballast to 1100 rear bags and the 1150 front bag. I'm trying both port and starboard wakes with the front bag full, and one rear bag full.

If I add anything to the opposite bag, the wave flattens out Also finding it hard to get a long pocket without the wakeplate down, and not feeling enough push to go completely ropeless unless i'm damn near on the swim step.

Riding IS Squirt, also have the mucus but I haven't tried it yet. Ideas, thoughts suggestions?
    2008 Mobius XLV | 325HP | Acme 1235| lots of ballast!