Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2003 Mobius V setup for wakesurf

My first post here as I am looking at purchasing a Mobius V from a private seller. Moving on from a 2006 Sea Ray 185 Sport, with a Monster tower added, ballasts and just about everything you could do for wakeboarding/wakeskating.

I am a surfer at heart after growing up in Cali, now living in South Dakota with a great lake I am at every weekend. Have a slip and everything. But won't be moving back to California so I need to get into the inland surf craze.

What I want to know is the 2003 Mobius V a solid boat for building out a wakesurf monster with. I have read through just about every board here looking for info on the 2003 MV and didn't find anything about surfing.

Here is a link to the boat for sale.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details....=28701#contact

Comes with 3 ballasts 2x450lb's in the rear and 1x450lb in the center locker. Stock setup I believe.

Will this create a good long pocket, standup wave with me and several people and children in the boat or will I need to get bigger ballasts in the back lockers?

Appreciate any feedback!!

Thanks

Hopefully some guys with this model will chime in. You can see specs and owners manual right here by clicking on "About Moomba" above, then "Archive" then hover over "2003" and select the model. Looks like a clean nice boat. I'm sure we can help you get it set up.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks Kane, useful information there and in the owners manual. Looks like it was the biggest Moomba offered that year.

Its interesting at the lake I am at every weekend you see several MasterCraft either x15's or there is an x45 with a slip by me, several Tige's, and a few Malibu's, a few Centurions, but never seen a Moomba out here. Pretty stoked if I can make this happen.

Need to get my Sea Ray sold.

somebody on here will have firsthand knowledge of how to get that boat set up, but at first blush, I'd say you're going to need some more weight. Call Wakemakers as they also may be able to lend some suggestions.

BTW - boat looks great!

Hey Zroutt- So I've done some serious research and work on my own 2001 Mob V. From what I can tell the 2000 through 2003 MobiusV are the same hull, and kind of in between a LSV and XLV at 22ft long and seating for 12.

Short answer - yes, that boat can definitely be setup to surf!

Long answer - if you're wondering how...
    The trick with this hull is that the rear compartments are not as long as the newer hulls while the nose may actually be a bit longer. My rear compartments would best accommodate a ballast bag about 44" long but most of the bigger bags available are 50" so you will have to deal with some wrinkling to get them filled. Height of the compartment is about 22" towards the front, 20" in the rear. Width is about 24" wide back there.

So the 750lb bag at 50x20x20 seems like a good starting point, right? These hulls like a lot of weight back there to get them to lean over. I found that 750 just isn't enough. The 1100lb bags are 50x24x24 so you can take advantage of the extra width, just not going to get them totally full. With either bag they are going to be bunching up at one end but you will definitely get more weight into the 1100. Just have to be careful that you don't get a drain port blocked from being in a wrinkle.

I just went through and redid my setup, 1100lb bags in each rear locker, a 750lb bag in the basement locker which fits almost perfectly, and then two of the 400lb 42x16x16 bags to move around (filled with a hand pump). I think that looking back I would have bit the bullet and got custom made bags for the rear compartments - pay a little extra for them rather than going with the 1100's. That would end up being about a 900lb bag by my calcs and fit perfectly rather than having a 1100 filled with about 900 lbs and worrying about it bunching up.

I would also consider a longer bag for running in the basement, possibly the gravity games 1180 or a custom bag here as well. I can get a nice tall wave that we can surf all day - sometimes too tall and you feel like you're going to rearend the boat. That is why I'd like extra weight in the front to lengthen it out and maybe even knock it down a little. If you look around on the forum most people suggest going with as big as you can get or fit. You don't have to fill them all the way full if you don't want.

I'll be out all day today and going to experiment with "the perfect wave" as we'll be on a lake this time with no current to deal with. I'm sure I'll have some pics or vids I'll be able to share.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Thanks for the feedback Bergermaister. Look forward to seeing some video of what your wave looks like.

Looking around the interwebs and doing a lot of boat research I am really sold on the Moomba brand and value. Just need to get my boat sold first before I can do anything. Frustrating that I am trying to do this towards the later part of boating season here. Hopefully something happens soon. I have a couple of boats picked out but one I really have my eye on that I mentioned earlier.

Would be nice to get something before summer is completely gone. Then workthrough any mods or upgrades over the winter.

So I always see a max rating of weight or people. How safe is it to go over that weight as I see a lot of people with 2000+lbs of balast and their boat is maybe rated at 1600?
    Last edited by zroutt; 07-26-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: adding question

Quote Originally Posted by zroutt View Post
    So I always see a max rating of weight or people. How safe is it to go over that weight as I see a lot of people with 2000+lbs of balast and their boat is maybe rated at 1600?

Safe-thats a strange answer. you could be empty of balast and not be safe-due to water conditions, or be overloaded and have no problems. Common sense prevails
    Last edited by moombadaze; 08-09-2011 at 07:38 PM.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Like Daze said - common sense prevails. You can experiment but within reason. Mine is rated at 1,725lbs or 12 people.

I experimented on Saturday while waiting for friends to join me. Filled both 1100's in the rear as full as possible so realistically about 1800-1900 lbs total in the rear. 750 full in the basement locker. Just me in the boat. My rear rub rail was only a couple inches off the water at rest but the lake was empty and glass.

I throttled up and the boat basically just did a wheelie for a hundred yards or so. Finally picked up some speed and it planed out but not under 22mph or it would start to wheelie again. The wake was pretty impressive, however when I backed off the throttle down to a stop I took a wave over the back of the boat! (kind of like the old low profile dragboats do if you're not careful) Came halfway up the engine cover before I gunned it forward and away. Kind of a spooky moment I wasn't expecting and that's EXACTLY the sort of stupid/scary thing that will get you in trouble if you're overloaded and not paying real close attention when surfing and all leaned over.

I'd never even think about getting that loaded down with other boats around or on choppy water. Had to see what it looked like and performed like at least once though.

Forgot - here's a clip of my buddy riding from last weekend. He's still a beginner but has gone ropeless a little before.

This was ~1100 surf side, 750 basement, 2 teenagers up front, one teen on the surf side and me driving. Watch at about 30 seconds after I moved over to the surf side how the wave gets better and even longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCtRMJzx98M

what speed are you going?
    2004 MOBIUS LSV
    2008 Tacoma