Thread: Boat wont Start

Hybrid View

Default Boat wont Start

I have a 2003 Moomba Mobius LSV with the Indmar 310 in it. Yesterday while at a slow crusing speed the boat just quit. Perfect pass will turn on as well as stereo and other eletrical components. The boat turns over just fine and is getting gas. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem. Thank You in advance for your help.

Start with you fuel pump, fuel filer, and Oil Pressure switch. If you search all these items in the "search" option you will see you are not alone.
    2004 MOBIUS LSV
    2008 Tacoma

If your boat crank and turn and getting gas but doesnt start, It's most likely spark. That's the only thing left to fire it up.

are you sure it's getting gas? did you take the hose off the carb and put it in a bottle to see if the pump was pumping good fuel.
    if you are looking in the carb and seeing gas you may only be seeing the fuel left in the bowls.
    if it is not fuel then spark is all thats left, and that is not so easy to diagnose.
    05 mobius ls 310hp carb

Check the safety lanyard. I forget how much it kills but I know the boat will not start without it in place.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Like mentioned, if you use the search tool, there are a few troubleshooting threads on this.

Only thing of real value I could add is to check the starter. Are you hearing a click when turning the key? You mentioned it is turning over. Is it sluggish when turning over? Also, something to try is while turning the key you can have someone tap on the solenoid and see if that works. Have you had water in the bilge high enough to cover part or all of the starter? If so, it will corrode eventually and will need to be cleaned out. You can do this yourself if you are even the slightest bit handy. PM me if you end up going this route and I can let you know how it is done. My boat's bed is in the garage in the off season, but last year when I took it home from the lake, I put it in our turn around as we were headed out of town. Well eventhough it was covered up, the wind blew part of the cover off the engine bay during a freak flash storm and it ended up taking enough water in the bilge to cover about half of the starter. It started fine when I got back, but eventually rusted enough inside to not work any longer.

Another thing to try jiggling the throttle while turning the key.

I would check the battery terminals as well. Make sure they are on tight as they will still power everything else up, but if they are loose, they will not allow the engine to crank.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Default 2003 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by toddmtu View Post
    I have a 2003 Moomba Mobius LSV with the Indmar 310 in it. Yesterday while at a slow crusing speed the boat just quit. Perfect pass will turn on as well as stereo and other eletrical components. The boat turns over just fine and is getting gas. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem. Thank You in advance for your help.
    My 2006 Outback has the Indmar 310 in it. I went through a similar issue last week. The boat would crank and crank but not start. Good spark, good flow through the filter, figured it was the pump. Replaced the fuel pump but no luck. Turns out these Holley carbs have had issues and mine needs replacing after 185 hours. Hope your issue isn't the same as my $1000 repair.
    Your body will try to convince you to quit, you must train your mind not to listen!

This summer on three different occasions I have parked at the local sand bar. Boat ran great before we parked. I go to leave and it starts runs real rough then dies. Turns over great but won't start. I can smell fuel so out isn't that. Then after anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes it starts and runs just fine. I have noticed my boat is bildging more water than usual. I have been told out could be a grounding problem. Any ideas? It is a 2006 LSV.

What part of the country are you in? Your situation sounds like classic vapor lock from the ethanol fuel vaporizing in the fuel filter or fuel pump. A little cool water poured on either/both will get you back running strong.