Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kicker HLCD upgrade install

Had some time and looked at my oem tower set up. As per Loudsubz the bracket is no good fro the horn. So I decided to make my own brackets.

1" inch by 42" of sheet aluminum $5
    2-3/8 ss nuts .40 c
    1-3/8 bolt .10 c
    drill $5
    x-acto knife

I first did a test bracket. Then adjusted the back end measurement so there is minimal clearance on the sides. Drilled a hole in the end, tapped aluminum with 3/8" bolt and screwed nut on. I will have the nut spot welded to the bracket tomorrow. I trimmed a notch out of the round plastic bracket with an exacto knife so it would fit flush (very easy)

I only brought one speaker home so I hope this bracket will fit in the can. I will use a dremel and a router bit to trim the round plastic mid bass brackets when I get up north on friday. The brackets took about 10 minutes to bend up in a 3 inch vise.

left is trial center is final right is original

L is final R is original

L is trial R is original
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Good stuff! I was thinking about bending up a bracket but wasn't sure how much clearance I woul dhave as the coil for the crossover is almost right at the hold where the OEM bolt went through.

Speakers are in, ix500 is in, will get to try them out tomorrow. I used a router to notch out for the mids, messy but quick. I had to enlarge the bracket holes and file down some of the bolt to bracket weld to get a good fit in the can. I tape some rubber to the bottom of the new bracket so the speaker card is on rubber rather than metal. Plus it firms up the back as the foam does loudsubs. It took probably about 3 hours to complete this job. Had to go jet skiing with daughter and then rip apart the rear end as I sucked up a branch into the impeller. So it was a day long experience.
    The custom brackets are very tight. There is a 1/8 thick plastic washer that if I removed would have made things easier. I may thin it to 1/16 or maybe not. Things are nice n tight. These are not a drop in upgrade we will see what 750 gets me tomorrow . I must say they look cool sitting on the tower
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

SWEET!

Post some pics of them mounted on the tower when you get a chance!
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Well my 18 year and her friends said the sound was crystal clear and loud . I get my turn after lunch.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

more pics

Last edited by DOCDRS; 07-25-2011 at 06:25 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

Awesome upgrade! I really like that amp, and the speakers are going to be a great upgrade for people like you that already have the cans and just need to upgrade the speakers. Very cool.

09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

Sweet! Thanks for the pics. The pic of the IX next to the ZX put the size of the amps into good comparison. The IX amps are nice and small. Keep us posted!

Phil
    Kicker

Looks Awesome Doc!

Question though what is the point of the support bracket on the horn? Has there been failures?
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"