Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass

Default Grass

How come no matter how hard I work on my lawn with mowing, edging, fertilizing, watering, etc. my lawn looks worse than the $%@# jerk across the street who does NOTHING!

Got the same situation at the lakehouse. Can't seem to grow any grass, but the guy who lives in his RV in California and shows up every 2-3 yrs has a beautiful lawn that me and the neighbor have to cut.

How short do u cut it? In the summar i cut no less than 4.5 inches ussually cut at like 5.5inches to 6.. otherwise it burned out and didnt grow...

Also starter fert is like grass steroids....... makes it bloomo quickly.. just dont use a weed fert on new grass
    Last edited by lsvboombox; 07-18-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Whoa - for a second there I thought this was another Ed thread. hahaha

Is your soil acidic? Very different climate up here but wondering if you've ever tried putting Lime down. Helps to balance out the PH and all that jazz. I understand it is better to do early in the year or late in the year to let it work into the soil. I've also been told that it helps the fertilizer to work better.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Drew- You can order one of those soil test kits from the University of Georgia and then send it back to them to analyze completely. It's pretty cheap and will tell you a lot about your lawn.

Here is a link that tells more about it, and also a website that I really like. I listen to this guy early on Saturday mornings. He is fantastic.

http://www.walterreeves.com/tools-an...test-handbook/

It could be worse. My lawn is currently infested with yellow jackets. Imagine that. A UGA fan with a lawn full of those pesky yellow jackets. They must have traveled over from that trade school on North Avenue. (Thats Ga Tech for those not from Ga.)
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Hell, I couldn't wait for the Texas heat to kill all mine off this year! Less mowing!!
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

lol, good point Dusty.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    I listen to this guy early on Saturday mornings.
    So, you can't find time to make it out to Sinclair and THIS is what you're doing?!?!?

sad
    sad
    sad

just like the UGA tailback situation.

Oooohhh. That's twisting the knife right there.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    So, you can't find time to make it out to Sinclair and THIS is what you're doing?!?!?

sad
    sad
    sad

just like the UGA tailback situation.
    Hey now...... That is almost like being kicked square in the.....well...you know...

I guess I can take solace that our players were not trading memorabilia for tattoos and cars like that other school in that state with all those Buckeye trees.

Off topic even further- Little known fact about Ohio....Their state animal is the Whitetail Deer. That's actually pretty cool. Better than their state beverage which is tomato juice. ugh. Wonder what Georgia's is...probably Coke.

Back on topic......While you are at the lake this week, I am firmly committed to burning a Georgia "G" in your front yard for your treasonous words.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8

-John Wooden

Looks like I don't live to far from you and was having the same problem. I read a bunch of sites, books, etc... to no avail. I heard Clark Howard say it was actually cheaper to hire a service to handle the chemicals so I searched around got a few estimates and have not looked back. If I get a single weed in the yard, I call up the company and they take care of it. I have a half acre and it is mostly grass and pay $200.00 a year for all the treatments. I love it! I never have weeds, dead patches etc... Just have to water and cut. Oh and I was spending more than 200 a year for fertalizers, lime, week killers etc.... so in my case Clark was right .
    2008 Outback