Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New To Surfing - Board Purchase Help

Wife and I are going to try surfing soon. I have an 02 LSV and plan to upgrade to 750s in the rear soon. I've seen some great pics of surf wave from this hull and am confident we can dial the boat in with help from others here.

When it comes to boards, I'm clueless. Don't really have easy access to a shop where I could demo boards so I'm trying to do as much research as possible before taking the plunge. I know some boards are designated as beginner boards and some are more advanced. I'd like to find something I can grow into that will challenge my abilities. If anything I want something a little faster that I can grow into. I am 5'10 and about 170. My wife is around 125. It would be nice if we could find a board that worked for both of us, but she is not as serious about it as I am.

I'm open to suggestions. I really like the look of Phase 5 boards. I've also looked at Lake Wakes, Ronix, and XXX (as a value option). Any help is appreciated.

I have two Phase 5 boards, the Icon and the Oogle. I originally got the Icon for the kids, but I use it quite a bit, now that I'm better and can stay in the pocket with it. My wife and I both use the Oogle, I'm 6'0" and 160lbs. My 195# friend uses it too and can stay in the pocket. Kid's love the Icon. I'm a big fan of both of these boards. We have two Grindwater surf-style boards, the V-Star and the Ginsu. The V-Star is too slow for an adult (in my opinion) but the kids love it, and I like the Ginsu because you can sit way back in the wake and just cruise along. I like it for tandem surfing as well.

If you are thinking of the Phase 5 boards, I bought mine directly from Drew Danielo over the phone from his shop in FL. He was very helpful and very quick service and shipping. Here's his contact info:

Ollie's Wake-Skate-Skim
    (941) 485-9253
    900 Tamiami Trl S, Nokomis, FL 34275
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

As another newbie just starting out & getting to try a couple boards this weekend, don't start with a Triple X composite board. I'd recommend the Hyperlite Broadcast. It was much easier to surf on and get a feel for how it works prior to going to the more advanced XXX board.
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)

as a newbie myself, I have been really happy with my two boards, I have a 5'6" ISLE and a lakewakes pretty fatso board. I am right arond 200, but with both boards have had a few wives up on these boards, my wife wants to try my lake wakes grom board that I got for the kids, but she falls in the weight catagory. I've been able to watch many first timers get up on the bigger ISLE board, I took the middle fin out of the lakewakes boars (thanks for the suggestion Mark) and it was a little squirrely for the newbies but I was able to drop the wake for about 10 seconds. it was a rush. good luck, I am looking at a phase 5 for my next board to see what it is like. I am behind a DD and need the speed.
    06 Mobius LS

Check out the inland surfer squirt..

go with the phase5.

I used to say the broadcast was a much easier board to learn on, but the last 2 noobs on my boat both learned on my daniello pro board and it was cake. nice thing is that it's a board you won't soon grow tired of like the broadcast..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I have an Inland Surfer Squirt arriving tomorrow and hoping to get some quality time on it this weekend if the weather cooperates. I'll be happy to report on it!

Was considering a HL Broadcast or CWB Ride for good all around boards for beginner to intermediate but I don't want to outgrow it too quickly and if you're buying new they really aren't that much more.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Get the Squirt, it's well worth the money.

If you want to splurge a bit, Phase 5 drew large. Good for beginners as skim boards are thin and light and sink on takeoffs. Bad is they are squirlly when up. Inland also has a tri-fin skim that would fit you nicely. Phase 5 has a 2" fin option that I highly recommend.

Happy wife=happy everyone. I would get a board she can get up on and surf styles are more bouyant so they are harder. Your wave will be medium at most so a phase 5 drew large will fit you both well.

like FargoDawg, we're a LakeWakes family

3.8 grom for the girls (ages 9 & 11)
    4.3 for the wife
    4.8 for me

we also ride Inland Surfer Blue Lake, Flegel signature skim, 4 skim and Red Woody.

for beginner to growing intermediate, I'd suggest starting with a LakeWakes.

I just took my first run on my new Inland Surfer Squirt Friday night.

First Impressions: https://forum.moomba.com/showpost.php?p=148798

Hoping for a few more rides this week and weekend.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...