Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

David, so basically by not having enough battery juice to my amps it can actually cause them to overheat easier? I went to west marine today and one of the employees there suggested blower motor fans due to the large amount of air they can move to help keep things cool. This winter I plan to go to two optima blue tops for the stereo power and prosport 20 to keep them charged but dont have the funds currently. Never really had this problem till this weekend. My harpoon cut off once before but I think we were pounding it pretty hard that day. We were at canyon lake a few weeks ago and I'm not sure how hot it was, probably upper 90s and we jammed in party cove and never had an issue. I know it was like 99-102 this last Sunday and the water we were in was considerably warmer than canyon lakes water. Maybe that can also have an effect
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

rd,
    Yes, low voltage will compound thermal issues. It appears that you are running the Harpoon at 2-ohms so I suspect low voltage as a contributing factor. At 1.33 ohms on a 'hybrid' I would be far more concerned about thermal issues, particularly in the South.
    A blower fan? Do you realize how noisy those fans are. Not a good option.
    After the amp shuts down and has just enough time to recover, measure the voltage at the primary supply terminals of the amplifier with a digital multimeter as it repeats a shutdown. This way you will know for sure if low voltage is a major contributor. No use in chasing the wrong prognosis.
    There are two parts to effective fan cooling. First, elevate the amplifier with standoffs and use a fan shroud in conjunction with a fan. Circulating the air around the fan rather than across the maximum heatsink surface area is a waste of a good fan. Second, exchanging the port locker air with the outside which may be 35 to 40 degrees cooler. This requires an exhaust fan and vent in the exterior locker. You can place a second and intake vent in the floor hump right next to the bilge hose and take advantage of the built-in provisions.
    The right fans will be whisper quiet.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    rd,
    Yes, low voltage will compound thermal issues. It appears that you are running the Harpoon at 2-ohms so I suspect low voltage as a contributing factor. At 1.33 ohms on a 'hybrid' I would be far more concerned about thermal issues, particularly in the South.
    A blower fan? Do you realize how noisy those fans are. Not a good option.
    After the amp shuts down and has just enough time to recover, measure the voltage at the primary supply terminals of the amplifier with a digital multimeter as it repeats a shutdown. This way you will know for sure if low voltage is a major contributor. No use in chasing the wrong prognosis.
    There are two parts to effective fan cooling. First, elevate the amplifier with standoffs and use a fan shroud in conjunction with a fan. Circulating the air around the fan rather than across the maximum heatsink surface area is a waste of a good fan. Second, exchanging the port locker air with the outside which may be 35 to 40 degrees cooler. This requires an exhaust fan and vent in the exterior locker. You can place a second and intake vent in the floor hump right next to the bilge hose and take advantage of the built-in provisions.
    The right fans will be whisper quiet.

David
    Earmark Marine
    my amps are elevated off of the amp boards by 1/2 or 3/4 inches. not sure how big the hdpe i bought was. the noise of the fans does not concern me so much since the volume of the music should drown out the fan noise. my harpoon is running two sets of sxt86s in parrallel with 16 gauge wire. i will probably just go out this weekend and leave the locked open and see what kind of effect that has. my plan with the fans was just and intake and exhaust fan to move fresh outside air into the locker and suck the hot locker air out
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

How would a push and pull fan move a higher volume of air versus a single fan if their is no appreciable resistance?

David
    Earmark Marine

I don't reckon it would. I figure one fan will work fine.
    David

As for the HD600/4, early production models were a little sensitive to the remote turn-on voltage falling off which happens out on the lake. JL Audio has a revision for this. Also, because its strictly regulated it pulls more current to offset a decline in voltage so that the output power doesn't drop. An unregulated amplifier will stay on longer and just produce less and less power as the voltage drops where as a strictly regulated amplifier must have a more aggressive protection circuit and will shut down at a higher voltage threshold.

David
    Earmark Marine
    David,
    I purchased my JL's soon after they came out. How would I go about getting the "revision" as you state? Did they fix the issue in later models and i'm out of luck? I can take this to email or pm's............
    Thanks

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Viking,
    Just get with your supplier and give them the serial number from your amplifier. They can tell you whether its an issue on your particular model or not.
    In any case if that amplifier is shutting down in an application where it shouldn't I would send it in after the season for a full check up.
    The JL Audio HD amplifiers run full diagnostics within the first second or two after turn-on and adjust the rail voltage of the front and rear channels independently based on the respective impedance load. You won't find a more sophisticated amplifier. So if its shutting down it would take a low voltage threshold, whether on the remote turn on circuit or on the supply, or a damaged speaker voice coil that is changing its value after heating up. Thermal is unlikely since it accounts for an inordinate load in its initial power up process. And that takes me back to a factory set threshold that may need to be checked and revised. JL Audio did send out a memo on the turn on threshold for an HD model. No guarantees but it seems like a possible fit.

David
    Earmark Marine

Hey guys how about a ice pack held to the amps that should help

In all seriousness I have done that in a pinch with a towel rapped around it to absorb water and it has helped.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

No joke. Building a bladder into an amplifier shroud would not be terribly difficult. Its been done many times before. But again, you are still generating too much heat at the core if you need to go to that extreme and it will eventually take a toll on the amplifier.
    You can purposely design a system from the beginning that will absolutely NOT thermal anywhere in North America.

David
    Earmark Marine

Viking,
    Just get with your supplier and give them the serial number from your amplifier. They can tell you whether its an issue on your particular model or not.
    In any case if that amplifier is shutting down in an application where it shouldn't I would send it in after the season for a full check up.
    The JL Audio HD amplifiers run full diagnostics within the first second or two after turn-on and adjust the rail voltage of the front and rear channels independently based on the respective impedance load. You won't find a more sophisticated amplifier. So if its shutting down it would take a low voltage threshold, whether on the remote turn on circuit or on the supply, or a damaged speaker voice coil that is changing its value after heating up. Thermal is unlikely since it accounts for an inordinate load in its initial power up process. And that takes me back to a factory set threshold that may need to be checked and revised. JL Audio did send out a memo on the turn on threshold for an HD model. No guarantees but it seems like a possible fit.

David
    Earmark Marine
    Thanks Much!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet