Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Default Amps Over Heating

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Amps can and will be hot to the touch, but that in itself doesnt mean they are going into protect mode due to their internal temp. You have 2 identical amp, but both may be used differently. Are they both going into protect mode at the same time? If so, I would look into something other then heat, like battery voltage. Is this a problem with the engine running or while at anchor or both? What gauge amp cabling is used for both amps?

How many speakers is each amp driving? Is the sub a 2 or 4 ohm load at the amp? Are the amps bolted directly to a carpeted wall?
    Amp 1 powers 6 cabins and 1 factory kicker 10" (I don't know ohm) Gain is set at around 80% 6ga wires
    Amp 2 powers 2 XM9s. Gain is set at around 80% 2ga wires (honestly, I could prolly not jam out as hard as I do on the towers to help this amp :/)
    Both amps are sitting directly on carpeted amp rack. (Should've thought about adding spacers, but didn't *banging head)
    It happens parked and while surfing. Not real often and only if we crank it super loud during a song and forget to turn it back down. They are going into "Protection" (as the little red light is on). I haven't had them both shut off at the same time tho, it's usually just one or the other. Then I just turn those speakers all the way down, leaving the others still going and after about one song the other speakers are back to normal.

It's not a SERIOUS problem since its not like every 20mins but it is frustrating for sure and if its a simple fix that I can handle myself then I will attempt it, but if it requires pulling everything back out then I will just live with it til the end of season. I'm bout spent out on Mods already this year and just ready to enjoy the water!!!

Thanks for the reply, good sir
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370944771.137594.jpg
    If this helps any....

Also, I'm already in the process of setting up a 6" fan in there to help with air flow
    2008 LSV Blue on White

One more question... With the gains set up at about 80% of 100 I'm only having to turn my volume knobs to halfway and it's PLENTY loud. Would it help the amps from overheating if I turned the gains down?
    Because obviously its pushing more than enough, but I don't know if it would help any I guess is my question...
    2008 LSV Blue on White

T,

6ga gauge cabling if fine since the batteries are close
    Your OEM 10 is probably a 4 ohm, so thats good. We have run that same amp with 6 speakers and a 2 ohm sub on a number of times over the years.
    I would install some stand-offs and get them off the carpet. This allows for some air flow behind them. Adding a fan does little unless you are actually cycling the air in the locker. Blowing the same hot air across them will do nothing. The ideal solution is to get fresh cool air across the amps and the hot air out of the locker. This takes 2 fans, some ducting and maybe a shroud. But I would go here last as in most cases we can solve this by other means.

80% gain! Start here. These need to be lowered. Even with the Typical 2V OEM head-unit line level, we rarely see these Kicker amps end up past the 11 oclock position on the gain dial. Thats just shy of 50%. This will absolutely reduce the load of the amp. Gains need to be set with the head-unit at its max pre-clip level, which will be right about 75-80% of the head-unit max level as opposed to maxing the amp gains, then only turning the head-unit up till its loud enough for you. Google "Gain setting" and fallow it. I also see that you have an EQ. If its a line driver, then your gains should be even lower....about 30%.

Both those amp need to be set to "HI-Pass". Each amp has 2 slide switches that will be labeled "X-Over-1" and "X-Over-2" with 2 positions of "OFF" and "HI". Slide them all to HI. This will also reduce the load on the amp. Next, set the cross-over frequency dial to 100Hz for both the in-boat chnls and tower chnls. again, 2 dials per amp.

T, good information

strange, when I asked for gain recommendations, I got us an volt meter or o- scope, no recommended gain range was provided must be the different brand equipment.

rant and hijak over
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Out. Standing. That's great news Thanks MLA

I run my iPod thru the Aux on my EQ and bypass the actual factory head unit.

Hopefully turning the gains down will solve this issue! I'll have to check the crossovers and see, I can't remember what I set them at...
    High pass for the cabins and towers, but I'm assuming that 5th channel for the sub is a low pass by default correct?

Thanks again
    2008 LSV Blue on White

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    T, good information

strange, when I asked for gain recommendations, I got us an volt meter or o- scope, no recommended gain range was provided must be the different brand equipment.

rant and hijak over
    LOL don't you go starting trouble here Joe!!!! 😎
    2008 LSV Blue on White

Stacking those amplifiers one over the top of the other is not helping the thermal issues. Rotate them from horizontal to vertical side-by-side. Space them several inches apart. Space them off the panel by half an inch. No EQ or bass boost if you want maximum volume. Set the gains and crossovers correctly. Then you may not need a fan.
    If you add a fan the largest issue is using a fan shroud which multiplies the fan's effectiveness many times. A raw fan just hovering over the amplifier has limited benefit.
    A second fan exchanging air with the bilge will multiply the contribution of the amplifier fan....if needed.

David

David,
    My plan with the fans were to basically create an airflow from the bow, through the compartment with the hatch open. Basically, just to help circulate the hotter air out (simple fix to help is all)
    I leave bass boost completely off. I saw your post on another thread on this topic!
    As for the spacers off the amp board, I'm hoping I can wait that out til the off season if the gain issue solves my problem!
    Thanks for the reply!
    2008 LSV Blue on White

Is spacing the amps .5"-1" off a carpeted amp rack going to yield a significant improvement in airflow?
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV