Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Good deal man. We were in the area this weekend, wish we could have made it out to Belton to ride with you guys.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Harpoon cut off yesterday and when I touched it I think I almost burnt my hand. Charged all the batteries over night and went out again today and it cut off again. Fml
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

With no more than two pair of surf speakers on a Harpoon something else has to be going on here.
    If you are trying to drive surf speakers extra hard at wake range then I wouldn't be surprised.
    Make sure that the DCR of all four tower speakers are nearly identical. Since you have 'Q's remove just one at a time to see if the amplifier doesn't start running much cooler. This would indicate partial damage in that speaker which can create an inordinate load.

David
    Earmark Marine

Can't you just check resistance across the speaker to see if it is damaged? I never run more than 75% volume. I have butt connector in my speaker wire half way up the tower, could those be adding resistance causing the problem? Should I run 12 or 14 gauge wire here instead of 16?
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Also the ambient air temp was about 100-104 degrees. The
    Volume according to my ws420 was between the half marker and the next marker up. we turn it about right there when we pull someone and then cut it off when the fall. The cabins and sub were doing this before the battery changes but we never really took them past half volume this weekend and we never had a problem
    David

Yes, you can check the DCR for consistency (+ or - .1 ohm is fine) between speakers but if there is an issue with a tweeter then it will not show up since it has a series capacitor in the highpass section of the passive crossover network that will not pass DC.
    A butt connector absolutely creates resistance which is why we solder and heatshrink everything. In fact if you have a butt connector on a 15 amp halogen light supply harness it will get hot enough to burn you.
    For the kind of power you are running 14/4 is par for four surf speakers and 12/4 is the norm for four HLCDs. 16/4 is light although its doubtful that either of these issues are the actual cause for your thermal failure.
    The relationship between a volume control and output power is not a linear equation. If a volume attenuator works in 1.5 dB increments then cutting back two clicks is half power. Cutting back six clicks would be one/tenth power. So I'm not sure what you mean by,"75 percent".
    You could email me. Maybe we'll set up a phone conversation. We'll start from the beginning. I need to verify a number of conditions. [email protected]

David
    Earmark Marine

75% just means the knob was turned 75% of it's total travel.
    David

The other night I ran my hlcds at max, was rocking on the way home from dinner, at 37mph ,it was dark , so no one could see my regs # , my bad, for 1 hour on my class D and when I check the voltage on my batts the next morning they were at 12.78 volts.....very happy ,btw the sound was awesome
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Default Amps Over Heating

THREAD REVIVAL!!!!!

Sooo what was the solution!?

I'm having the same problem. I'm running 2 Kicker 700.5s (1) to the Exile cabins and sub (1) to the Exile towers

It's 100 degrees out. Amps are both smokin HAWT to touch, go into protection mode, 5min break and back to business.

I have 2 batteries with perko switch that are possibly needing to be replaced, but don't wanna go that route just yet if you guys figured out it was a separate problem...
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

Quote Originally Posted by tgoody14 View Post
    THREAD REVIVAL!!!!!

Sooo what was the solution!?

I'm having the same problem. I'm running 2 Kicker 700.5s (1) to the Exile cabins and sub (1) to the Exile towers

It's 100 degrees out. Amps are both smokin HAWT to touch, go into protection mode, 5min break and back to business.

I have 2 batteries with perko switch that are possibly needing to be replaced, but don't wanna go that route just yet if you guys figured out it was a separate problem...
    Amps can and will be hot to the touch, but that in itself doesnt mean they are going into protect mode due to their internal temp. You have 2 identical amp, but both may be used differently. Are they both going into protect mode at the same time? If so, I would look into something other then heat, like battery voltage. Is this a problem with the engine running or while at anchor or both? What gauge amp cabling is used for both amps?

How many speakers is each amp driving? Is the sub a 2 or 4 ohm load at the amp? Are the amps bolted directly to a carpeted wall?