Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Amps Over Heating

So I was out this weekend tied up on the island and my exile amps kept over heating and cutting off. The air temp outside was probably around 100 F so I know the conditions were not great but my buddies boat next to me never had this problem. I could only play for about 20 mins at a time and then it would just shut off. Anyone else have an issue like this and if so how did you fix it?
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

What's your battery/wiring setup? Did you discuss with Brian at Exile yet?

I have a pair of JL Audio MHD 600/4 amps and one of them keeps going into protect as well.
    Built an amp rack with cooling fans and it helps but it did not solve the issue completely on hot days and running the tunes wide out. Chalk it up to a day in the life of a bigger system. You can spend more & more & more & more and upgrade till your hearts content. I just live with it and prop open my observers seat and take it easy on the hot days.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    I have a pair of JL Audio MHD 600/4 amps and one of them keeps going into protect as well.
    Built an amp rack with cooling fans and it helps but it did not solve the issue completely on hot days and running the tunes wide out. Chalk it up to a day in the life of a bigger system. You can spend more & more & more & more and upgrade till your hearts content. I just live with it and prop open my observers seat and take it easy on the hot days.
    Wow, I'm really surprised you're having this issue with Class D amps...

i have no talked with brian yet but my wiring set up with 0 gauge wire from the battery to a distribution block, then 4 gauge wire from there to the amps.

i did just talk to the exile dealer brian had build my sub box and he said its 113 heat index outside, they are going to shut off and his do the same thing. he recommended a 12v fan that plugs into the cigarette lighter for hot days
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Rd, I'm running the Hybrid setup on my tower and I am shutting my Harpoon down as well. I've got external fans wired permanently in that blow "cooler"(if there is such a thing during Texas summer) air directly onto and around the Harpoon, as it is offset from my rack by 1/4" and the entire area behind the Harpoon on my rack is cut out so it is completely open behind it. Anytime we play in a cove or beach, I move everything in that compartment out away from the amps and leave the hatch open, but the heat just builds. I'm a little shocked yours is shutting down, same with mine do to the added fans and the amp being open all the way around.

I've talked with Brian a bit, before as well as after, and we agreed that I would be a tester so to speak for the Hybrid setup and the Texas heat. For my situation, it looks like I may be diving off into another 800.4 to help cut the Harpoon some slack. First, I am going to add another fan either behind my rack blowing onto the rear of the harpoon, or add one on the front side on the opposite corner of the existing to blow the hot air back out the front of the open hatch, so it circulates a little better. From what I see so far, the Texas heat you an I deal with is going to be a monster for us. I've even contemplated some vents in the walkway that let more fresh air into the back side of the rack, with a fan pulling air in through one.

Unlike you though, I played for about 2 hours the other day at about half volume (which is very loud) before I had a heat issue. After the first shut down, it happened 2 more times, about an hour apart. When it's playing, it sounds amazing, lol. It has only happened that one day, where it did it those 3 times so far, but I'd like to do something to eliminate it if possible.
    Last edited by dusty2221; 07-11-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

RD- give me a call at the office. Let's do some trouble shooting. Various things can do this. Harpoon should do very well i'n that environment.

Brian
    971-645-3145

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    ...I just live with it and prop open my observers seat and take it easy on the hot days.
    That is the same solution I have come to with my Kicker ZXM700.5. Kinda embarassing when you are rocking out and like 4 or 5 boats or listening to your system and it goes into protect and everything stops...One time I used the inflater that we use for the tube to blow air on it until it cooled down enough that it would come back on...fun times!
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

If you're chillin in the water you could pull the bow seat on that side and open the compartment door just to get some airflow through there. It's been so hot this summer somewhere close to a month straight with above 100 temps.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

I have had this happen numerous times, We tend to play our amps to the maximum causing them to get hot. I ended up buying an amp that I can still get enough power out of, at 4 ohms instead of 2. It can run at 2 ohms (more power) but just gets even hotter. Now that my resistance is at 4 ohms I never have them get hot at all and never shut off!!

Dont push your amps to the max, or they will overheat in that cubby.
    2006 Outback V, Alpine CDA-118M, 2 alpine MC20's, Polk Cabins, 2 Exile XM7s 2 SXT65s (tower), Memphis Mojo 12" Sub in custom downfiring ported box, Kicker 2500.1, Exile Harpoon, JL M6450, WS-420.

Acme 1433, 750lbs Sacs in Rear, GG 1180 (fills to about 700) Sac in Center Locker, 650 lbs Nose bag.

PP Stargazer