Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    T, good information

strange, when I asked for gain recommendations, I got us an volt meter or o- scope, no recommended gain range was provided must be the different brand equipment.

rant and hijak over
    Joe,

if you reread your thread, you will see that you also received the same basic info. You were offered sound advice to set the gains properly as opposed to mimicking the exact settings of someone else with a similar setup. Although this may have put the gains in a safe range, but then again, you may have taken the settings from someone with theirs set to oh lets say...80% of max. So we would then be addressing a gain hiss/noise issue, etc. with your system.

I did not tell T where to set his gains, nor did i give him a recommended range to set them within. I gave him some perspective of just how high his gains are set. This is based on years of experience and installing and setting up countless Kicker 700.5 amps. In the end, T, as well as you, was given the advice to set the gains using a commonly accepted method.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoody14 View Post
    Out. Standing. That's great news Thanks MLA

I run my iPod thru the Aux on my EQ and bypass the actual factory head unit.

Hopefully turning the gains down will solve this issue! I'll have to check the crossovers and see, I can't remember what I set them at...
    High pass for the cabins and towers, but I'm assuming that 5th channel for the sub is a low pass by default correct?

Thanks again
    I would take the Ipod/MP3 through the head-units AUX and take advantage of the head-units 2V output to the EQ. Your headphone output is probably less then .5V.

Yes, the dedicated sub chnl on those 700.5 amps are low-pass only. So just check the 4 switches for the 8 full-range chnls.

Default Amps Over Heating

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    I would take the Ipod/MP3 through the head-units AUX and take advantage of the head-units 2V output to the EQ. Your headphone output is probably less then .5V.

Yes, the dedicated sub chnl on those 700.5 amps are low-pass only. So just check the 4 switches for the 8 full-range chnls.
    Awesome!!! Sounds great! And yes I have that hiss/noise in my speakers before I even turn up the volume (due to the gain being to high) thanks for that as well

I did not know the Krypt EQ aux was less than the factory headunit so I will definitely go back to using that! Thank god I ran a 20ft aux cord around the bow to the drivers side as well... Pheww 😅
    Thanks again
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

Quote Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
    Is spacing the amps .5"-1" off a carpeted amp rack going to yield a significant improvement in airflow?
    Definitely! Orrrr well it more less allows air to pass above and below the amp helping some of the heat to get away from the Amp rather than being trapped.

I've seen it done many times and also adding computer fans one on each side of the air vents on the amp to help circulate air over the circuit boards inside the amp. I'm still kicking myself for not doing this, totally slipped my mind....
    2008 LSV Blue on White

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    T, good information

strange, when I asked for gain recommendations, I got us an volt meter or o- scope, no recommended gain range was provided must be the different brand equipment.

rant and hijak over
    I have seen the quicky tuning advice many times. At best they are very rough guidelines. And the over-simplified and abbreviated version is okay for someone who has very little tolerance for anything technical because they are not going to follow a more thorough prescription anyway. But they always have unrealized performance.
    Here's the thing: With every change of head unit or source the tuning settings are different. Different with different boats and different speaker mounting provisions. Different with different speakers. Different with different amplifiers. Different on the same amplifier with different load impedances among the different channels. And so on.
    It's a method and technique, even an art for the really proficient few.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
    Is spacing the amps .5"-1" off a carpeted amp rack going to yield a significant improvement in airflow?
    I don't know about Significant, but think about yourself.

If your hot and have to sit in the seat in your car, your back is just cooking right? Still sweating like a dog. But if you stand up or at least lean a little forward your back gets some relief of the heat. Same principle.

When i build my amp racks and place my amps, i always use 1/2 stand offs, but i also cut the centers out like this.

All the white sections behind the amps i cut out, just cant find that picture.

Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks mike that makes total sense. I'm gonna try it this weekend and see what kind of improvement I see.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    If your hot and have to sit in the seat in your car, your back is just cooking right? Still sweating like a dog. But if you stand up or at least lean a little forward your back gets some relief of the heat. Same principle.
    Perfect Example!!!
    ⭐ for Mike 👏
    2008 LSV Blue on White

80% gain! Start here. These need to be lowered. Even with the Typical 2V OEM head-unit line level, we rarely see these Kicker amps end up past the 11 oclock position on the gain dial. Thats just shy of 50%. This will absolutely reduce the load of the amp. Gains need to be set with the head-unit at its max pre-clip level, which will be right about 75-80% of the head-unit max level as opposed to maxing the amp gains, then only turning the head-unit up till its loud enough for you. Google "Gain setting" and fallow it. I also see that you have an EQ. If its a line driver, then your gains should be even lower....about 30%.

Both those amp need to be set to "HI-Pass". Each amp has 2 slide switches that will be labeled "X-Over-1" and "X-Over-2" with 2 positions of "OFF" and "HI". Slide them all to HI. This will also reduce the load on the amp. Next, set the cross-over frequency dial to 100Hz for both the in-boat chnls and tower chnls. again, 2 dials per amp.
    Just left the boat stall and looks like I already had both amps on high pass so that's good! I was able to roll both amps back just over 50% on the gains and also I lowered the frequencies from about 150 down to 100...

Now I can crank the volume knob all the way, not saying I will cuz it was almost too much to bear... That was in a metal boat storage too tho so it may be just right once we get out on the water!

It didn't seem like I did much (physical labor), but I sure hope this fixes the overheating cuz I really don't want to pull all that stuff outta there and lift those amps! At least not til the off season!!!

Thanks again MLA! Cross your fingers for me
    2008 LSV Blue on White

Joe,

if you reread your thread, you will see that you also received the same basic info. You were offered sound advice to set the gains properly as opposed to mimicking the exact settings of someone else with a similar setup. Although this may have put the gains in a safe range, but then again, you may have taken the settings from someone with theirs set to oh lets say...80% of max. So we would then be addressing a gain hiss/noise issue, etc. with your system.

I did not tell T where to set his gains, nor did i give him a recommended range to set them within. I gave him some perspective of just how high his gains are set. This is based on years of experience and installing and setting up countless Kicker 700.5 amps. In the end, T, as well as you, was given the advice to set the gains using a commonly accepted method.

Mike, i agree ,you gave me solid advice on the cross over points and how to efficiently set the pre clip leaves in the other thread.

Re read this thread and 50% and 30% were recommended gains for t's system, it's pretty clear my system is the black sheep and gets no love. Lol
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold