Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Engine and Wakeplate Noise Feedback thru speakers

My 09 XLV Gravity is getting feedback noise thru the speakers when the engine is running even with the stereo OFF. I also get feedback noise from my wakeplate motor when I'm adjusting it. Same thing... doesn't matter if the stereo is OFF or ON. When I turn the Stereo switch On and OFF is stops if for a few seconds but the noise comes back. I know this is a grounding problem but not sure where to start troubleshooting. If anyone's had this problem before, please let me know the quick solution.
    2009 Moomba XLV Gravity

I put some Ground Loop Isolator RCA cables from the deck to the amp and the problem was gone. My 2008 XLV came from the factory this way too, which I feel is unacceptable on a 55k boat when the fix is either moving the grounds (ground all amps and deck to the same spot) or some simple RCA's. An easy fix, but not one the owner should have to make.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...roduct=2700054
    Levi
    Former owner of a 08 Mobuis XLV, Cat340, 2650 Lbs.
    I miss that boat!

Quote Originally Posted by jboardman View Post
    My 09 XLV Gravity is getting feedback noise thru the speakers when the engine is running even with the stereo OFF. I also get feedback noise from my wakeplate motor when I'm adjusting it. Same thing... doesn't matter if the stereo is OFF or ON. When I turn the Stereo switch On and OFF is stops if for a few seconds but the noise comes back. I know this is a grounding problem but not sure where to start troubleshooting. If anyone's had this problem before, please let me know the quick solution.
    If you are getting noise through your speaekrs with the stereo off, your amps are staying on.

If it is a newer boat with Kicker amps, there is a switch on the amp called AUTO TURN ON. Make sure it is in the +12V position. That will prevent the noise when the stereo is off.

If you have not adjusted gains, and noise is getting louder, it usually points to a battery not fully charged, or losing its ability to hold a charge. a battery is very similar to a large capacitor, and as such it does a good job of absorbing some noises. As the battery ages it becomes less effective at it.

Outside of these two items, noise on a boat is most common due to a difference in voltage potential between the amplifier(s) and the head unit. If you re-wire the head unit's power wiring so that it comes from the biggest amplifiers power lugs, most of the time your noises will go away. We have posted this mod several places, so search it out. If you don't find it, post back here, and I cen re-post a pic.

Phil
    Kicker
    Last edited by philwsailz; 07-11-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Just curious, Phil... why wire the headunit to the amp instead of just directly to the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    Just curious, Phil... why wire the headunit to the amp instead of just directly to the battery?
    It has a potential to have the radio even closer to the same voltage potential, as the amplifier PLUS many amps have great big filter capacitors on the inside of the amplifer, right inside next to the power connectors. Those filter caps can help remove noise on the power wiring for quieter installations.

Phil
    Kicker

Quote Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
    It has a potential to have the radio even closer to the same voltage potential, as the amplifier PLUS many amps have great big filter capacitors on the inside of the amplifer, right inside next to the power connectors. Those filter caps can help remove noise on the power wiring for quieter installations.

Phil
    Kicker
    Phil,
    Do you think just leaving the Auto Turn On to DC or Audio may be causing the whole problem? I've had the boat out about 8-9 times and it had no problems until the last day. I was messing around with the amps and may have left it on DC by accident. I store the boat at the lake about 3 hours from my house so I can't just go check it out for a few weeks.
    2009 Moomba XLV Gravity

I had the same problem. I thought everyone was crazy when they told me to ground the head unit to the amp's negative terminal but it actually worked!
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Phil,
    Do you think just leaving the Auto Turn On to DC or Audio may be causing the whole problem? I've had the boat out about 8-9 times and it had no problems until the last day. I was messing around with the amps and may have left it on DC by accident. I store the boat at the lake about 3 hours from my house so I can't just go check it out for a few weeks.
    Yes, at least the noise when the head unit is turned off can directly be attributed to your changing the turn-on switch position.
    Here is the deal: for either Signal Sense or DC offset, there is a potential in a boat for there to be enough noise in the RCA cables to cause the amps to stay on It can do this even with your head unit off, as evidenced by the fact you have noise with it off right now.

Since you say you were messing around with the amps, what were you messing with? There is a possibility that something you did is contributing not only to the amps staying turned on, but to the increased noise as well.

In the meantime, know there is a chance your amps are on right now if the turn-on switch in a position other than +12V. You may go back to find a dead battery. It is not super-likely, but possible.

Phil
    Kicker
    Last edited by philwsailz; 07-12-2011 at 11:00 AM.

OK. Thanks for the info. I was just thinking that since everything was working OK for 8-9 boating days, it was odd that it would start happening now and not earlier. I was guessing it may be something I set on the amps. I'll try to set everything back when I get down to the boat in a few weeks. If that doesn't work, I'll try the re-wiring.
    Thanks everyone for all the posts!
    2009 Moomba XLV Gravity

OK. Thanks for the info. I was just thinking that since everything was working OK for 8-9 boating days, it was odd that it would start happening now and not earlier. I was guessing it may be something I set on the amps. I'll try to set everything back when I get down to the boat in a few weeks. If that doesn't work, I'll try the re-wiring.
    Thanks everyone for all the posts!
    What did you set on the amps? Change the gain? Change crossovers? Bass Boost?

Phil
    Kicker