Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tips on centering boat on the bunks

When my boat is loaded on the trailer the bow is slightly off-center on the bow roller, to the port side. The bow is essentially resting on the port side of the center section of the bow roller. Is there a known process to assess which bunk may need to move in order to get the bow to center on the roller? The upright that holds the roller is straight (or appears so based on the naked eye), so I'm assuming one or more of the bunks shifted at some point, somehow. Thanks for any suggestions.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

high on the opposite side?

not real sure, but I'd put a straightedge on the upright first, then start inspecting the bunks looking for drooping on the side it's leaning on, and possibly high on the other side..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    high on the opposite side?

not real sure, but I'd put a straightedge on the upright first, then start inspecting the bunks looking for drooping on the side it's leaning on, and possibly high on the other side..
    It appears to be sitting level based on measuring each side from the rubrail to a level sitting on the frame rail, so I'm thinking the boat is angled slightly on the trailer. I'll stare at it more tonight and take some measurements.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Mine sits lightly to the port side as well, always has. I had the dealer shim and measure my bunks. Shimmer the front bunks 1/2 inch and this helped as my nose was always hitting my roller. Boat still comes up slightly to the right when standing in front of it.

I'm going to look at reaimng the winch.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

my does as well, but has never been a problem
    2008 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post

I'm going to look at reaimng the winch.
    Mmandley, can you clarify your last sentence regarding the winch?
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

I think he means making sure the winch and winch stand are square with the trailer bunks. RE-AIM-ING it so it lines up. Right?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I think he means making sure the winch and winch stand are square with the trailer bunks. RE-AIM-ING it so it lines up. Right?
    Yes exactly
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Well, I found the solution to this...I moved the spare tire and carrier to the port side of the trailer. Apparently the spare tire is enough weight to flex the trailer enough to where the bow roller is no longer centered. Now that I moved it, the bow is centered on the roller. I'll check it after a few outings to see if it starts to pull to the port side...

I also notice that when the trailer is supported by just the jack, the roller tweaks to the starboard side making the bow look off-center. I normally have the tongue supported by a jack stand so I hadn't noticed this before.

I wouldn't have thought that there was that much flex in the trailer, but apparently there is....
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

mn, do you have a single axle trailer? thinking the trailer frame is longer between the hitch and axle mounts to allow just a little more flex. I know Mikes is a double axle so this thought may not be allways true

Cant say I have a issue with mine
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart