Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Wet slips... Whats your thoughts

Ok after wife Yelling and don't wanna learn to back the trailer.. What do you guys think of summer Wet slips..

Pros: ????/

Cons: I know one is taking it from lake to lake...What are some more..

This is really taking a toll on my boating and I don't wanna sell the boat to stop fights at home.. So whats your thoughts and how many of you keep your in the water
    2009 Moomba LSV..Kenwood Head unit Kicker subs and 4 wet Sound tower speakers..3 kicker amps.. Green and Black ( green like the payments black like my eye when i brought it home ) lol J/K

I don't do that, but I do back the trailer down then let my wife back the last 10 feet while I jump in the boat. She is fine putting the trailer away and jumping in. When we get back to the dock I go back the truck down and jump in the boat to drive on the trailer-- if my 17 y/o daughter is there she will drive the boat on the trailer though. It's a slight PITA but I keep a good attitude about it all.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I don't do that, but I do back the trailer down then let my wife back the last 10 feet while I jump in the boat. She is fine putting the trailer away and jumping in. When we get back to the dock I go back the truck down and jump in the boat to drive on the trailer-- if my 17 y/o daughter is there she will drive the boat on the trailer though. It's a slight PITA but I keep a good attitude about it all.
    bad part all these lakes in dallas dont have court docks for you to do that unless you pay marina fee's at Hubard and that is $40 cheaper than a wet slip
    2009 Moomba LSV..Kenwood Head unit Kicker subs and 4 wet Sound tower speakers..3 kicker amps.. Green and Black ( green like the payments black like my eye when i brought it home ) lol J/K

I back and my wife drives the boat, have you tried that?
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Default well worth it

I have done every type of boat scenario possible from trailering, to a wet slip and hands down having it in the water is by far the most convenient. The major downsides are cost and wear on the boat. A boat sitting in the water is more prone to mildew etc and gel coat bubble and staining. If your area has a forklift service (where the boat is on a rack and put in when you want to use it and put away on the lift when you are done) then I would do that. Some slip owners will allow you to install a floating boat lift, again a bit pricey. That is what I have but I own my slip. The convenience factor of simply having to uncover your boat and go is one that I have enjoyed for many years and will never take for granted having spent a long time boating spending as much time trailering and storing as I did actually using it. Another suggestion is if you have any lakefront communities nearby, see if anyone there is renting a slip. One of my friends did that in my neighborhood and it worked quite well for a couple of years as the owners didn't own a boat, the slip came with the house. Just my opinion

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ptcbtchr View Post
    I have done every type of boat scenario possible from trailering, to a wet slip and hands down having it in the water is by far the most convenient. The major downsides are cost and wear on the boat. A boat sitting in the water is more prone to mildew etc and gel coat bubble and staining. If your area has a forklift service (where the boat is on a rack and put in when you want to use it and put away on the lift when you are done) then I would do that. Some slip owners will allow you to install a floating boat lift, again a bit pricey. That is what I have but I own my slip. The convenience factor of simply having to uncover your boat and go is one that I have enjoyed for many years and will never take for granted having spent a long time boating spending as much time trailering and storing as I did actually using it. Another suggestion is if you have any lakefront communities nearby, see if anyone there is renting a slip. One of my friends did that in my neighborhood and it worked quite well for a couple of years as the owners didn't own a boat, the slip came with the house. Just my opinion

Mark
    I found one that will lift it out.. But said they only do 21 foot.. Said mine may be to big.. That was the option I liked the most though.. The other 2 i found you leave it in and don't have to sign a contract and can pull it out in the winter.. I like that too..

Default take it for a try

If not too far away you might take your boat there and have them see if they can lift it. How big is it? Most places here are doing boats in 23-24 foot range and some marina's can do larger boats. Once you are in the water or near it your wife will certainly enjoy the experience better as it will take the "pressure" off of her at launch.

Mark

Default another thought

One other thought, if you leave the boat in the water, try to pull it a few times during the season to clean the hull. See if they have pressure washing or water available at the marina so you can do it yourself. Makes the clean up in the fall much easier.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ptcbtchr View Post
    One other thought, if you leave the boat in the water, try to pull it a few times during the season to clean the hull. See if they have pressure washing or water available at the marina so you can do it yourself. Makes the clean up in the fall much easier.

Mark
    one of the Marinas. Said to buy a pool brush and use that everyother time its used to keep hull clean..???

Would that help

The black hull is gonna be hard to keep clean and will look gray after a couple weeks. My new boat is 90% black and it's a chore to keep it spotless. Boatlift is the only way I would consider it but then you have to worry about thieves and your stereo. Believe me, I've seen a few highend boats getting new equipment because their stuff got jacked from a "secured" marina.