Thread: 1st time out

Default 1st time out

took my new, (used) 02 outback out yesterday. no kids, just girlfriend and beer. boat ran great even for how bad the water condtions were, winddddddy.

however, i did notice i had to bilge water out a lot. is that common with this boat.

any reply would be greatly appreciated.

db

Brian Raymond Guest

Default Replying to Topic '1st time out'

The first place I would look would be the shaft packing. You can inspect this by removing the motorbox and rear center floorboard. The packing gland is the big brass nut on the shaft where it exits the hull. With the boat at idle in gear, there should be 1 drop of water drip from the front of the nut every 30-45 seconds. If you have a continual stream, you may need to add more packing. If the adjustment or replacement procedure is new to you, you may want to have a dealer do it, or contact; techservice@skiers choice.com. Brian Raymond

Brian, Thank you.

So it is common to get some water in that area. The strange thing was that everytime I opened the engine cover there was just a little water under the engine by the plug, that yes was put in.

Hey,
    I bought my Outback used with 2 seasons on it and had to re-tighten the shaft gland.
    You'll always have water up around the drain plug, so don't be overly concerned. Keep an eye on it and you'll learn what is normal.
    Enjoy.
    Dave

Brian Raymond Guest

On a inboard skiboat, the center drain is placed at the bilges deepest point, so, when sitting level, most of the water will drain out. There will more than likely be some residule water around that fitting. Brian Raymond

thanks plumcrazy,

but brian, keeping on this topic, i did notice some water in the storage compartment on the starboard side in the back of the boat. It was not standing water, but the carper was wet. does that sound like the shaft packing. And if so is it a simple of re-tighten the brass nut.

thanks for all your help.

doug, in t-town