Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Our "New" 2001 Moomba Outback - Engine?

Just picked up a near mint 2001 Outback. The interior is like the boat was never used - EVER. It shows 192 hours on the meter, but I cant believe it even has that many.

Heres my question - Has a 5.7 Carb engine. I am about to trade in a boat with a 2003 Volvo 5.7 GTX EFI engine with 75 hours. What are your thoughts about me swapping engines? Id have a lower hour engine, but most of all EFI.

I know these boats never came with Volvo engines, but they are the same block, and internals as the Indmar.

What is the HP rating on the Volvo. I thought most of those were still rated in the mid 200s. Also, what is the max RPM range on that engine. A lot of things are situated closely in the DD boat, are you sure everything will fit?

It seems like a lot of unknowns, but I'd like to see it done. I would not try it.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Not great for resale I bet
    2010 möbius ls "you ain't fallin you ain't learning"

I'm pretty sure your Indmar engine is rated at 310 HP. I had a 2000 Outback with that engine with about 500 hrs. on it and it ran perfectly. It was also the fastest Outback anyone had ever been around. I really doubt I'd swap it for a Volvo.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I have over 750 hours on my 325 indmar and it runs like a champ. I definitely would not trade it for a volvo. GM power!!
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Probably alot of time/money for nothing gained

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

even if it "fit" it would not be worth it, not sure anyone would want to buy that kind of a motor swap when you go to sell
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I second the "Bad Idea" vote here in a big way. Ever swapped an engines in a car? How about say putting a small block Chevy in a Jeep? Doesn't sound too bad until you get into it.

I swapped an old Mercruiser 120 4-cyl to a Mercruiser 140 4-cyl in an older boat years back. Same outdrive, carburetor, couplers, etc. Sounds simple enough right? Let me tell you it was a royal pain in the butt. Spent lots of time tracking down adapters, changing things, spending way more money than ever intended. Should have just rebuilt the one that was in it or swapped like for like.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I got just over 600 hrs om mine and it runs like it is new. I wouldn't do that.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

They are both GM 350 based engines. The EFI is rated at 320 HP.

Im an offshore boat guy used to BIG HP boats that I rig myself, this is as easy a swap as it comes. Same exact engines with exception of fuel sytem.

I respect your input and thats why I asked. Im still deciding, but if the ski boat demographic isnt into motor swaps even if its an upgrade, I may stay away from it.

Here are a few pictures of what I am used to dealing with. The Purple one is a 28 Pantera with 1100 HP single engine and the other is a 34 Hustler with twin 525's. Both boats run mid 90's.

Hope everyone has a great 4th and thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Elite Marine; 07-01-2011 at 08:40 PM.