Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

OK. I re-loosened all 4 bolts at least 1/4". I started and popped it in gear for a second. The coupler is loose. In fact it was so far back the gap was too big for the feeler gauge. I couldn't pull it closer reaching in there. I got out, went around and pushed in at the prop to close up the gap. Trying to figure out how to reach around to measure all 4 points because rotating the shaft just causes the gap to open back up as the coupler slides apart. I can't pull it in with just my fingers on the coupler.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

spray some wd 40 or silicone spray on the strut bushings you should be able to pull the coupler up to the vdrive easily
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

check it at 2 , 5, 7 and 10 oclock then rotate it 180 degrees and check at same points...... the gaps will be the same if your shaft is true......you should have 0 at at least one of these points and hopefully no more than .003 at any other points
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Well, I should have lubed the strut bearing. Oh well. I kept climbing out and rotating and checking. It became very obvious that the gap always stayed on the same side when the coupler was tight on the starboard side and was about .3mm (yea, I know- the only feeler gauge my wife could find yesterday was metric only). To me this means the shaft is straight and the alignment is off. I was able to move the engine about 3/16" to starboard and tighten it up. The much smaller gap was more toward the bottom. I decided to explore raising the rear starboard corner. I found the lock nut loose already so I gave it a turn and raised most of one thread. It tightened the gap down to .05 mm. That should be about .002". Another half turn and the gap was about the same but the starboard side opened the tiniest bit. I could almost put the .04 mm feeler in there. Compared to where I started I was extremely satisfied with this so I locked everything down and am on the way to the water to test run. I'll post up results later. Thanks for all the help, especially the tip about removing the intake hose. It made all the difference.
    Last edited by kaneboats; 07-02-2011 at 03:07 PM.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Great job. With all the pounding these boats do one can see why these and other bolts can come loose and should be checked yearly.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

Great job. With all the pounding these boats do one can see why these and other bolts can come loose and should be checked yearly.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

Well it was a heckuva lot smoother than the other day. I still feel like it's not perfect but I might have vibration paranoia right now. It is very smooth all the way to about 3200 RPM and then a little rough till around 3600. Then it smooths out again. I am wondering if I got spoiled with my new ACME prop. The reconditioned OJ was OK, but not great. I'm going to hold off on changing out the shaft that will be here on Tues. and just swap out the prop to the ACME that will be here on Wed. If it's smoother than it is now I think I'm all done.

In the meantime -- from what I've learned-- I think I could swap out the other shaft now and get everything aligned and back together in under 3 hours. I'm no longer worried about leaving on vacation on Fri. I think it would be OK the way it is now but I'm dying to throw the ACME prop on there.

My wife reminded me that when I put the OJ prop on after it was fixed last year I thought it wasn't right. When I put the ACME one on (they had to order it for me so it took an extra week and I had run the repaired OJ one in the meantime) I was very satisfied.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Nice work guys!

And Doc, sweet RC float plane! Put some more pics of that project up.

These guys are the best. I picked the boat up from the dealer with the new strut and a shaft with loose bolts where we did not know if it was straight. They walked me through every bit of it and helped with every obstacle I encountered. I have the pressure of heading to the Sinclair Jam and a lake vacation on Fri. hanging over my head. Right now I'm confident that the shaft is good and the alignment is right. Thank you so much fellas.

FYI- my 7 y/o daughter got up on the wakeboard for the first time yesterday thanks to you guys. If we ever meet I have a cold one for you!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Kane, I'm glad it all worked out well for you, and you didn't have to go to too much trouble to get things set straight. It's even better new you didn't need to pull the prop shaft, and now you've got a spare!! Pulling the shaft is no problem, so, if the need arrises, now you know!

Glad to hear your daughter got up for the first time. I love the look on peoples faces that first time they get up. Priceless!!
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.