Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WAKESURFING

Default Replying to Topic 'WAKESURFING'

Thanks for the article Smoke. I never had anyone do the teak surfing but I used to let the kids use the shower while they were on the deck with the engine running when we were primitive camping. Not worth the risk anymore. I don't want to blow smoke (pardon the pun) but those things can ruin a day.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

It's funny that you mention that as Skier's Choice no longer offers the shower option for that exact reason.

learned alot from all of the responses.......thanks

By "drop off", you mean "fall unconscious", right?

Actually, Centurion's Web site also points out that they offer side exhaust. I was a bit disappointed to find that Moomba doesn't offer it. I would have included it with my boat order. Oh well, it got everything else that I could want in a woma^H^H^H^Hboat.

Ian
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

I wake surf ever time I go out and it is the most fun I have ever had behind a boat. Go to
    http://www.howtowakesurf.com/
    also check out http://www.freshairexhaust.com/
    This guy has an excellent exhaust pipe, way better than the side exhaust crap. They have all the studies and everything you ever wanted to know about wake surfing.
    I am totally hooked on it and friends I take out I get them up the first time and they do want to wakeboard any more just surf. Man it is a blast and a half and I highly recommend their exhaust sytem if you are going to try this. I would not surf without the exhaust sytem.

I was all set to get the HyperLite, Landlock 5' 6" when someone suggested the Inlander from Liquid Force. Which board would you recommend for beginners?

http://www.trickboardz.com/home_2.jsp

good info on the subject of wake surfing

I am about to buy a LSV. Tomorrow I take it for a test ride and if it goes well, I will.

http://www.howtowakesurf.com/Carbon_Monoxide.jsp

Carbon Monoxide can kill.

It kills quietly and without warning. Fortunately for wakesurfers, most inboard boats, most of the time, do not expose the rider to very much carbon monoxide. Unfortunately, the people in the boat may be exposed to a lot. It depends on how the boat is set up, where you are sitting, and the direction and strength of the wind.

Most carbon monoxide deaths associated with inboard boats happened to people that were teak surfing, (platform dragging, teak drag, body surfing or hanging onto the swim platform). Be aware though, there have been deaths to people sitting inside the boat, on the swim platform, or swimming around the back of an operating boat.

WARNING: Pregnant women should be especially careful to avoid breathing boat exhaust. An unborn child is very susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Many people have been on a boat and later in the day felt drowsy or had a headache. They typically blame it on the sun, food, beer, etc. The complaints may be due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

The following is an excerpt from the Fresh Air Exhaust Carbon Monoxide study.

I have been around boats most of my life. I certainly have smelled exhaust gases while operating these boats. For the most part, I had very little concern for carbon monoxide. When I began building and testing Fresh Air Exhaust, I was merely trying to move the exhaust further away from the wakesurfer. Even though I was aware of the potential dangers of carbon monoxide and some of the drowning deaths associated with it, my attitude towards boat exhaust was still somewhat careless.

My attitude changed substantially once we actually began testing carbon monoxide concentrations. Our first time testing carbon monoxide levels, we let the boat idle near the pier to warm up. As I went to set up the Biosystems carbon monoxide monitor at the back seat, the alarm on the monitor started blaring. The carbon monoxide levels inside the boat, around the back seat, exceeded 1100 ppm (the maximum the meter would register). Since 1200 ppm is considered lethal, I suddenly had a new respect for carbon monoxide levels present in boats.

A life vest can prevent Carbon monoxide induced drowning. When participating in watersports, ALWAYS wear a life vest. Always!

Larry Mann, DC

Click here to read the complete study.

In a study by the Centers For Disease Control conducted for the U. S. Coast Guard, Fresh Air Exhaust removed up to 90% of the carbon monoxide from the boat. Fresh Air Exhaust may reduce air pollution generated by inboard boats (further laboratory testing is planned).

With Fresh Air Exhaust boats operate quieter; your stereo sounds better.

DO NOT teak drag - you will likely die.

OnTheH20
    I would definetly go with a Trickboardz Freestyle. Way better than the boards you mentioned. More versatle and easy, easy to ride. I have the CWB surf board and the inlander and a Shoreline Lake Board. Trickboardz blows them away. Their exhaust pipe is the BOMB. I can not tell any performance difference with the pipe except it is quieter.

It is just a guess. But I bet you could get a 50% decrease or better just extending the tail pipes about 8 inches like you have and skipping the bringing together and dumping down in the water.

Maybe bring it up under the teak and end just short of where the teak ends.

No sound reduction but from what I remember the low speed vacuum behind the boat is what really builds the CO.

Anyway, I think it would be cheaper, less stuff behind the boat and you could still get to the drain plug.

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth