Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New to Moomba (maybe)...general advice?

Hey all---

I've been a wakeboard boat owner since 2011 and have been the owner of an '06 Tige 20V for most of that time. It's time to go bigger and newer as we love to surf and the party is only getting bigger!

Now, I'm not the buyer that's going to spend $90k+ on a boat and that's what got my dealer looking at them. I have to say, I'm really impressed. Until the other day when I stopped in at my local dealer, I didn't see myself as a Moomba fan but wow...they have really stepped it up.

Now, I have made a lot of upgrades to the Tige to surf but hey, it's a 20' boat so I'm looking at the Craz. I like the traditional look of it, the technical advances over a 3-4 year old boat, and the size. I looked at the Max but just can't get over the look of the bow and knowing this is a boat that's going to have to last me several years to come, I have to feel comfortable about (almost) everything.

Anyway, I'm still shopping but knowing my 3 criteria...1. bigger, 2. surfing, 3. ~$70k budget, it seems to fit the bill. Now I've been on forums for a some time and it always drove me a little nuts when people would post "generic" topics or questions but if you have 2-3 things I should consider on the 2018 lineup, the pitfalls of buying a new boat or even specifically about the options of the Craz and the buying process, it would be appreciated!

Hope to be a Moomba owner soon! Thanks again!

Here's some advice: Buy yourself a new Moomba. No worries. No regrets. Tons of fun. Won't break the bank. Holds value well like any other inboard-- just starts cheaper. Got my '08 new in 2010 and have enjoyed every bit of it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Order a Craz Pro, get your dealer to throw in some Enzo sacks and never look back, you'll be golden.
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

I read some threads on changing out the stock sacks and adding in lead ( I think you were on them). Just concerns me that you have to do that to a new boat.

Most people do not run full people capacity. If you don't have the human weight to displace the boat, well, it has to come from somewhere. A lot of families are buying these boats and want to surf with only 3 or 4 people in the boat. That is why they are installing larger rear bags and using some "lead" (steel shot bags) to mimic the people weight and get it exactly where they want it. Spend some time on all the other forums reading, and you will see this is the trend. Load your boat to max people capacity and you won't have much of a need for the extra ballast weight.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    Most people do not run full people capacity. If you don't have the human weight to displace the boat, well, it has to come from somewhere. A lot of families are buying these boats and want to surf with only 3 or 4 people in the boat. That is why they are installing larger rear bags and using some "lead" (steel shot bags) to mimic the people weight and get it exactly where they want it. Spend some time on all the other forums reading, and you will see this is the trend. Load your boat to max people capacity and you won't have much of a need for the extra ballast weight.
    Bingo. If I could find another 10 people to ride along and not want to surf as well I would. LOL having a surf crew of 16 people would suck, both gas and time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Bingo. If I could find another 10 people to ride along and not want to surf as well I would. LOL having a surf crew of 16 people would suck, both gas and time!

I prefer only 2, myself and driver..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Ya...get it and does make sense. It's usually just my family of 4 and one or two other kids but I can even get my 20 footer to surf pretty well with 1700lbs of water in the boat. A friend of mine has a Centurion Ri237 and at $120k+, he still has trouble dialing in the wake. I don't want to seem negative Nelly until I try it so I guess we'll see. I have the Ronix "detachable" gate and I like it because I don't have to list the boat that way...still something Moomba should look at (I'm sure they have but it's $$$ so maybe that's why you don't see it as an option yet). Maybe they are in 2019?

Default New to Moomba (maybe)...general advice?

Quote Originally Posted by wired1236 View Post
    Ya...get it and does make sense. It's usually just my family of 4 and one or two other kids but I can even get my 20 footer to surf pretty well with 1700lbs of water in the boat. A friend of mine has a Centurion Ri237 and at $120k+, he still has trouble dialing in the wake. I don't want to seem negative Nelly until I try it so I guess we'll see. I have the Ronix "detachable" gate and I like it because I don't have to list the boat that way...still something Moomba should look at (I'm sure they have but it's $$$ so maybe that's why you don't see it as an option yet). Maybe they are in 2019?
    Read my other post. The side deployment gates are under patent to Malibu. Even Correct Craft has to pay royalties to Malibu for the NSS system, just because it sticks out the sides of the boat.

2017 Moomba Craz

I've heard that. Hence the Ronix work around (and many others have come out with similar contraptions since.) I do know if cleaned up my wake and made it much easier to dial in with Ronix. Maybe something to think about adding in on this too. Just sucks to have to do something like that.

Also, so you guys don't use the autowake system when surfing either?