Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hitch/wiring question for new tow vehicle.....

Bought a Volkswagen Touareg V8. It did not have a hitch and I was not under the impression that it would be a simple install for my local trailer and hitch shop. From reading on the Touareg forums, I am definitely wrong.

Apparently I am going to have to add an Electric Brake Controller, a $250 wiring kit blah blah blah. I am going to go the aftermarket route on the hitch itself bc it is a night and day price difference from the OEM. The towing weight will drop from 7,700 to 6,000 which I can live with as I hardly tow the boat as it is and will not tow anything else that weighs that much.

Anyone have any experience with a hitch on a Touareg? After finding this vid on the install of just the hitch, I am confident I can do this myself. Looks to be 1-2 hour job. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvB2oOr5U2s

Here are a few links that I am finding, if you guys are interested in the problem I am facing....
    http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...ded-46735.html

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...oom-52920.html

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...ion-47687.html

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...ity-19885.html
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

buy a truck. problem solved
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Why do you need a brake controller? Typically a brake controller is for electric brakes.
    REALLY????

i didnt think it was a brake controller(like a normal truck would use) I thought it was more of a little computer board that sends signals to the trailer plug.. i think audi and volkswagen are a pita for this reason...

it's off the reverse light.. its a reverse lockout solenoid that prevents the brakes from engaging when pushing the trailer backwards

you need a 5 wire harness not 7.. unless you get the 7-5 converter plug..

technically, you could use a 4 wire and tap into your reverse lights in a pinch.. but i shouldnt think you'll need an electronic brake controller..
    sounds like a nice rig.

look up ZEGM on here. he has touareg i believe.. he may can shed insight.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

My experience with aftermarket hitches is that they have little or no resistance to rust. OEM hitches may (or may not) have some protection. Most people driving trucks have no problem with cosmetic rust showing, but maybe you would with this vehicle. It's just something to consider when evaluating the price difference.

You should not need an electric brake controller for towing your boat. If you install a 7-pin wiring harness, you'll be able to use an inexpensive adapter to downconvert to any lesser type of connecter for trailers that do not require a brake controller.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

All I can really add for yur hitch is use a scotch bright pad to scuff it all up then get a couple cans of bed liner and spray that on it to make it rust proof make sure you don't paint over the hitch rating or you might have issues later in life renting trailers
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

[QUOTE=lsvboombox;145993]i didnt think it was a brake controller(like a normal truck would use) I thought it was more of a little computer board that sends signals to the trailer plug.. i think audi and volkswagen are a pita for this reason...[/QUOTE

Exactly. Apparently these little computers will work with the alarm system as well. So if the alarm is set and the trailer is taken off it will go off.

It's getting to be way too much of a problem.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

I'm sure that your clubtoureg forum will have much better info that we can offer. I looked through some of the posts on there. If it were me, I would bite the bullet and have the dealer install the factory one at a high cost. Other "work arounds" seem to be hit or miss for owners.

I hope you like the Toureg enough to get the issue resolved and that you find the answer easily and soon.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

After seeing some botched jobs of people probing the wiring and shorting the computers out and having a $800 repair job, best recomendation I have is bite the bullet and have the dealer install it properly.

Modern vehicles are not at all like they used to be.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart