Thread: Mute Switch

Default Mute Switch

Is there a way to install an aftermarket mute switch that functions like the mute button on the stock wired remote? Specifically, one that brings the volume back somewhat gradually (over a second or two) instead of going to full volume instantly. The wired remotes are perfect for my needs but they are proving to be very unreliable. I have two - one at the helm and one at the transom - and both have failed repeatedly. I think I have replaced both twice already and they are again malfunctioning (only works intermitently).

So ideally, I am looking for a way to rig a switch at the helm, that I could wire to the same wire that the wired remotes are hooked up to and be able to reliably mute and unmute the stereo. I don't need to be able to control anything else.

Anyone know if this can be done?

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Some headunits have an Attentuate (ATT) wire, I imagine hooking that to power will mute the radio. Never tried it though.
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    Some headunits have an Attentuate (ATT) wire, I imagine hooking that to power will mute the radio. Never tried it though.
    My kenwood HU does not - it just has a single "REM CONT" wire that the wired remote is connected to. Not sure how the remote can send different signals (volume, source, change stations, etc) thru one wire. Guessing it sends a different voltage input for each command and the HU is programmed to do different things based on that.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I would also be interested in that!!!! On mine the volume sticks every now and again just when lowering it thank goodness but it's really annoying.

Geoff
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!