Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Running out of gas????

New to the forums, looking at a neighbors 2005 Moomba Outback. D-drive, with the Holley 4-barrel carb....
    Starts and idles fine, but whenever a load is put to the engine, as in accelerating in forward.... the engine stalls as if it ran out of gas.
    When I look into the carb after a stall and work the throttle linkage, we're NOT getting the squirt of fuel into the venturi of the carb. If we let it sit a minute with the key "on", the electric fuel pump refills the float bowl and it will restart and run fine again.
    This looked like a CLASSIC case of a partially plugged fuel filter, so we replaced the fuel filter between the tank and fuel pump, but the problem still persists..... and I'm out of ideas.... BTW, that fuel filter was an SOB to get to.... mounted to the rails, under the starter motor... a real PITA!!!! Is there perhaps another fuel filter that we're not aware of???
    Has anyone experienced or heard of a similar problem??? And if so, what was the solution????
    Thanks in advance,
    Bill

Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and rent a fuel pressure guage. Then you can determine how well the pump is working. Also, I would check the float in the carb. The engine already sets at an angle, it is greater when the bow rises on take off.

My only 2 inputs.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Smile

I have the 07 Outback and my fuel filter is hidden behind a panel in the ski locker at the very back of the boat,maybe there is a 2ndary one back there as well.
    07 Outback DD

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbum View Post
    New to the forums, looking at a neighbors 2005 Moomba Outback. D-drive, with the Holley 4-barrel carb....
    Starts and idles fine, but whenever a load is put to the engine, as in accelerating in forward.... the engine stalls as if it ran out of gas.
    When I look into the carb after a stall and work the throttle linkage, we're NOT getting the squirt of fuel into the venturi of the carb. If we let it sit a minute with the key "on", the electric fuel pump refills the float bowl and it will restart and run fine again.
    This looked like a CLASSIC case of a partially plugged fuel filter, so we replaced the fuel filter between the tank and fuel pump, but the problem still persists..... and I'm out of ideas.... BTW, that fuel filter was an SOB to get to.... mounted to the rails, under the starter motor... a real PITA!!!! Is there perhaps another fuel filter that we're not aware of???
    Has anyone experienced or heard of a similar problem??? And if so, what was the solution????
    Thanks in advance
    Bill
    The fuel pump should not run with the key in the on position. There is a fuel pump safety switch near the distributor that should only allow the pump to run when the engine is either cranking to try to start or running. The switch is actuated by oil pressure. This link will take you to a diagram of the fuel pump safety switch circuit.

ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/Wiring%20Diagra...y%20Switch.pdf
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines
    "Power to the Sport"

Quote Originally Posted by Engine Nut View Post
    The fuel pump should not run with the key in the on position. There is a fuel pump safety switch near the distributor that should only allow the pump to run when the engine is either cranking to try to start or running. The switch is actuated by oil pressure. This link will take you to a diagram of the fuel pump safety switch circuit.

ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/Wiring%20Diagra...y%20Switch.pdf
    it doesnt operate like a car and run for two seconds when the key is turn to the on position and then shut off if it does not receive a crank shaft position sensor movement?
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    it doesnt operate like a car and run for two seconds when the key is turn to the on position and then shut off if it does not receive a crank shaft position sensor movement?
    EFI engines work like that but not carbureted engines. Carbureted engines have fuel pump safety switches like I described.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines
    "Power to the Sport"

Wink

Thank you for all of the replies!!!
    I think our next course of action is to hook a DVM to the fuel pump leads and SEE if the fuel pump is getting 12 volts just before the engine stalls!!!
    Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Engine Nut View Post
    EFI engines work like that but not carbureted engines. Carbureted engines have fuel pump safety switches like I described.
    ahhhh makes sense, i am useless when it comes to carbs. whats a float bowl? lol
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I'd check the float levels in the primary & secondary fuel bowls.
    Maybe a stuck needle and seat?
    Carb also might need a rebuild
    Weak fuel pump pressure?
    Loose connection on the fuel pump terminals
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

Thumbs up oil pressure switch

Same symptoms happened to me last summer and it was the oil pressure switch. Engine Nut and CanuckleHead helped me out on that repair, Thanks again guys! You saved my summer holidays!
    2004 MOBIUS LSV
    2008 Tacoma