Hybrid View

Default 2001 Mastercraft Prostar 209 vs 2005 Moomba Outback

I have the option to purchase a 2001 Mastercraft Prostar 209 ($21,500) or 2005 Moomba Outback ($21,000). They both have very similar features and are in similar like new condition. They both have wakeboard towers, nice stereos, perfect interiors. They Moomba has a ballast, the Mastercraft does not. The Moomba has the 310 engine and the Mastercraft has the 351. The Moomba has 350 hours, the Mastercraft has 160 hours. I am looking for an all-around boat. My family does a little skiing and a little wake boarding. We are no experts. I'd say beginner to intermediate. And, we might want to take the boat up the St. John's River every once in awhile. Which would you pick and why?

I'd take the moomba. I would think that since it's a newer boat, if you decide down the road to get into a v-drive, the moomba would be worth slightly more since it is a newer boat.
    the low hours on the mc would be something to look into. having any motorized vehicle sitting around for a long time not getting used can be harder than a vehicle with average use.
    really, the service records and a "gut" feel would dictate the buying decision. if they are both private party, which one feels like it was taken better care of.

and the all-important question: which one does the 'finance committee', aka wife like
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

The wife likes them both. She likes the Moomba a bit better as far as style. I thought the MC might have better resale. And the MC is also just $20,500 but I couldn't edit my post.

I'd go with the Moomba, not just becasue I own an outback, but for resons mentioned above. Moomba is newer, and has been used. A 2001 MC that has seen less than 20 hours of use per year? Lack of hours are not neccasarily a good thing.
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.

Orlando - Some comparison:

Outback, 2,750 pounds, seating capacity10 people, 20’ 6” length, beam 95”, draft 22”, fuel 28 gallons

Prostar 209, weight?, seating capacity 12 people, 20' 11" length, beam 96”, draft?, fuel 35 gallons

Looks like the Prostar may be the bigger boat, but I could not find the weight or draft specs.

I have the Outback w/ factory tower and ballast. Great setup, because it does one thing real well - pull slalom - and works as a cross over for the rest of the family. My boys are beginner to intermediate boarders. We also pull tubers. Also have a boom w/ extension for barefoot which also works great for teaching.

Never owned a Mastercraft. Prior boat was a Nautique. Outback is the perfect boat for our family of five and friends. Bought it new in 2007. Starts first time every time. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I agree with Deerfield on the OB. I've got an older one with 800 hours and it has been solid. My family was hard core skiers when I bought it and now are hard core surfers, with an occasional ski set. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with a V drive under these circumstances. Better all around family boat and a lot less hassle to get a good surf wave. Either way, you'll enjoy a Moomba.

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    Orlando - Some comparison:

Prostar 209, weight?, seating capacity 12 people, 20' 11" length, beam 96”, draft?, fuel 35 gallons

Looks like the Prostar may be the bigger boat, but I could not find the weight or draft specs
    The weight is 2850 and the draft is 22". -taken from MC manual

what are YOUR personal likes/dislikes about each one after looking them over?
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I like them all. It's so close that's why I posted on here. I'm a newbie to boats and want to make sure I make the best call. They all ride about the same. The 209 has a better sound system. The Moomba looks slightly better inside prob it's newer. The MC looks a little more upscale b/c the way the interior looks. The MC has better name recognition. I can't tell on the wakes because I'm not that skilled yet.

BTW, we do plan on doing a lot of tubing with the boats. Prob more than skiing or wake boarding.