Hybrid View

Default How-To: Replace your Roswell 4 pod with KM6500.2 HLCD

First off I didn't find this mod that easy, but at the same time it wasn't overly complex with the right tools. Definitely not a direct drop in (esp. with the horn).

Overall I enjoyed the mod and now I am able to keep the nice light bar/audio combo and not junk up the tower.

As follows:

1. Remove the 4 Allen head screws on the back of the pods holding the U shape bracket in place so the speakers can pop out of the front.

2. Stock Speakers/Setup

3. A look at the trim rings in their stock form (will not go all the way down to meet the lip on the horn and the mid bass

Also a look at how the U bracket will not work on the new horn as the crossover board interferes with the setup (I ditched it in my setup)

4. Trimming of the rings is really easy with a jig saw or scroll saw. For the horn ring you only need to trim them a bit to make them flush. For the mid bass ring you need to take off the entire ring on the inside of the plastic.

5. All trimmed and mounted to the mid bass with the stock U bracket

6. Test fitting

7. Wiring up. I ran new wires from the harness to the pods as the original wiring was kind of messed up and I wanted it to be a little cleaner and also have a better solder connection.

8. Test fitting both of the drivers in their pods

9. Adding #4 screws to the outside of the pod to hold the plastic ring in place for the horn and to double up on the mid bass as well.

10. Even after adding the screws to the plastic ring on the horn I noticed if you moved the bar around (over waves or hard bumps against the dock etc) the rear of the horn where the crossover and driver sit were a little on the heavy side so I added spray foam to the can to help support it. I wrapped the driver in plastic and put tinfoil on the inside so the foam wouldn't stick to the inside yet it would create a cradle for the rear and help hold it.

Thats where I stand now. I test them out this weekend. The speakers are well built and look good, can't wait to try them out.

Nice work, your going to save me some time. Mine have been ordered and due with an IX500 amp early next week. I like the foam in the rear, sweet idea. When I get mine done we'll have to have a get together. Hooked up with another Moomba Man on Go Home Lake last weekend
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

How do these sound?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2004 Supra Launch

Acme 913 Prop
    WS420, L5 kicker sub, JL/Kicker Amps
    4 Polk mm in Roswell, 6 Kicker in boats
    3000# Ballast

Very nice. Not as much mid bass vs my 8 inch krypts but that's expected with the size but the horns are very smooth, nice sound. I havnt pushed them that much yet I still need to dial in the amp and I'm only pushing 175 watt rms per ch

Hope you like Chromeo.

Took a short clip testing it out. I was on our deck which is around 90-100 feet away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pxJ2TM4uHg

nice sound. is that a ramp i see in the water?
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold