Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Signal wire from amps...... Not sure

Hey all just about done with my system upgrade which consisting of a harpoon amp to run my new 4 sxt65's and a new amp rack and head unit. I am wondering if I can connect the signal wires from the amps together and just run one wire to the head unit?

Thanks Geoff
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

Yep, 2 amps should be no problem off a single remote turn-on. Good luck with the upgrade and of course post up some pics!

I am running 3 amps total. Will it still be ok?

Should not be a problem
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Using a relay for 3 amps would probably be better, but I'm not sure the real issue. I tapped into the switched power wire that feeds the headunit instead of using the remove turn-on wire from the headunit.

Guys-

Proper sequence of powering on and off is important. Picture this: your amps are already on and you power up your head unit. The head unit often will send nasty stuf out the RCA cables while powering up. With the amps on, you can anf often will get noise or a big nasty pop.

Same thing when turning things off. Say you turn off your head unit while the amps are still on. Nasty pop again...

Using the blue, or blue/white turn-on lead introduces the proper timing circuitry and muting circuitry in order to prevent turn-on and turn-off pops. The radio's remote turn-on lead is delayed slightly to allow the radio to fully power up prior to turning on the amps. Similarly, when powering the head unit down, the remote lead is immediastely turned off, and the radio waits a while...

Some folks will have okay luck wiring the amp turn-on leads like Brain-Rinse but others will have a problem with blown tweeters.... It will always be preferred to use the head unit's turn on lead to ensure stuff is truly turned on and off in the proper order.

FYI-

Phil
    Kicker

I have 3 amps wired to mine. No problems.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

One point of clarification, I don't use my headunit. I have an EQ with an iPod input at the helm that I use for everything. When I first had wired to the remote turnon lead from the headunit I would have to open the glove box to see if the headunit was on just to get my amps to work. Now that the amps are switched independent of the headunit I just hit the stereo on switch and everything is ready to go. But yes, you must make sure you don't get "the thump" as Phil described.

after looking at the wiring under the dash... what a rat's nest!!! Wow the guy that owned the boat before me was messy.....

Just so i'm clear i can run the 3 signal wires from the amps together into one wire behind my amp rack. then i'll run just one wire from those 3 over to the head unit. That way the headunit gets its power first then the amps.. just like it should be...

gEoFf

Quote Originally Posted by saskyrider View Post
    after looking at the wiring under the dash... what a rat's nest!!! Wow the guy that owned the boat before me was messy.....

Just so i'm clear i can run the 3 signal wires from the amps together into one wire behind my amp rack. then i'll run just one wire from those 3 over to the head unit. That way the headunit gets its power first then the amps.. just like it should be...

gEoFf
    3 amps is right on the edge, sometimes, depending on multiples of circumstances... As far as tying the three turn-on wires together, yes. You can use a single wire from your amp rack.. But you might want to consider using a relay between the head unit and that single lead from the amps, just in case the current demand of YOUR three amps is larger than the headunit can handle.

I have attached a tacky MS paint drawign showing how you would wire it... Do yourself a favor and ONLY look at the right half of the drawing showing the blue wires going to a relay. The left side of the drawing shows a relay used in the radio's primary pwer circuit, and it is not relevant to this discussion.

In writing quickly:
    Your blue, (blue.white) wire FROM the head unit connects to terminal 85 on the relay.
    Your combined turn-on lead from the amplifiers connects to terminal 87.
    You can pull a short wire from your amp's B+ terminal and connect it to terminal 30
    Finally connect terminal 86 to ground. A convenient place is the amp's B-, (negative) terminal

Hope that helps! As I say, you might not need it, but using the relay is a sure bet... We know it will work...

Phil
    Kicker
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by philwsailz; 06-20-2011 at 01:04 PM.