Default Transmission slipping?

I bought my 99 outback about 2 months ago and have pretty much worked almost all of the kinks out of her. Recently I was out last weekend and the boat was running good until I was pulling a person up and the boat momentarily lost propulsion and then picked up and pulled fine once up on plane. It has never did the "slip" once on plane which, to me, makes sense due to the engine has most of it's torque around 2500 rpm. It doesn't make the cavitation noise that I have heard on my old jetski or the large pumps I work with daily. I pulled the prop and the key and prop are in great shape which leads me to thinking that the trans is slipping. Just yesterday I had her out again in the water and it did the same slip symptom but if I eased the throttle it does not do it out of the hole.

One of my main questions is if these transmissions are similar to a manual car transmission with the syncros and colar that lock the gear in Or if they have a series of clutches that mesh when put in gear. There realy is no grinding noise when it "slips" so that leads me to thinking it is the clutch style. Either way I am no expert on boats, I am just going with my high experience with cars. If anyone could give me thier advise it would greatly appreciated and if it is the transmission, where can I get a rebuild kit.

Make sure you have the correct oil in the trans( nothing synthetic based)which will make it slip ,a rebuild kit with clutches & seals is 500.to 1000 $.
    2012 Mobius LSV
    05 Outback LS SOLD

I will check the fluid for the basic dummy checks, I.E. correct fluid color and level. I found a rebuild kit on I boats for 250. It says it is for a borg warner which came up when i used indmar as the motor manufacture. Not sure if it is the right one so i will call up the local shop and see what they have.

Well dummy checks have prevailed. Now i feel like a dummy. Anywho, the trans fluid looked like pepto bismo and was about half a quart low. now the real question is what caused this? leaky trans cooler?

Quote Originally Posted by bscheuny View Post
    Well dummy checks have prevailed. Now i feel like a dummy. Anywho, the trans fluid looked like pepto bismo and was about half a quart low. now the real question is what caused this? leaky trans cooler?
    most likely the tranny cooler, wold account for both fluid loss and colour change imo
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug