Default Replacement Receiver - 2007 Outback

In the market to replace my 2007 Outback’s Kenwood KDC-MP232 receiver/CD player.

Unit is paired to a Kenwood Excelon KAC-X542 4/3/2 Channel Power Amplifier, two Kenwood speakers up front, and four Kenwood speakers in main cabin. Setup includes remote at the helm. Same battery that starts the engine and runs the lights also powers the sound system. Everything is factory installed original equipment that came with the boat when I ordered it in 2007.

The replacement of choice will be a SIMPLE unit:

• AM, FM, and CD
    • bass, treble, and balance control
    • plug and play (no modification like different wiring harness, drilling holes, etc.)

Making this change for two reasons:

1. The current unit has more features than I need.
    2. I can’t troubleshoot the current problem.

Last season, for no apparent reason the unit would lose audio. No connection to conditions. All random. This year no sound at all. Bunch of stuff scrolls across the message screen on the unit. Looks like advertising. Also see the words MODE and STANDBY. Checked wires and connections. Tried to troubleshoot using the owner’s manual from Kenwood, but it’s so poorly written and there are so many message codes to figure out that I’m just pulling the plug.

So I’m going back to basics with something reliable and that does not include digital display screen and full page of message codes and bunch of multi function buttons. I don’t want to have to read a manual to figure out how to tune in a radio station or play a CD.

Sure would appreciate suggestions on a replacement unit. I really like my music. Thanks!
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Stuart,
    Do you ever intend to upgrade your amps or add tower speakers and a second amp. If so you might want to get a new deck that has more than one Pre-Amp output.
    Do you burn your own Music? MP3's? I'd get a unit that plays all types of Media (CD, MP3, WMA, ACC, ect...).
    If you have an Ipod or smartphone or the like, you might want to get the AUX port on the front and/or the USB port on the front for easy access.
    Unfortunately most all of the newer decks have some type of digital display

Other than that, any deck in the mid-range price-point should work. You should be able to nab one for $150 or under.

I have the X493 and it has all of the above. Here's a link to the newer version of mine:
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-KDC-X494.html

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

stuart. the 232mr is a very touchy reciever. buttons are small etc.
    viking will the x493. x494 fit in the same harness or is a full replacement necessary. some models will plug and play in the metal din case.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Stuart,
    Do you ever intend to upgrade your amps or add tower speakers and a second amp.
    Do you burn your own Music? If you have an Ipod or smartphone or the like, you might want to get the AUX port on the front and/or the USB port on the front for easy access.
    viking - No intention of upgrading amp, adding an amp, or adding tower speakers. The basic sound system is fine. Don't have an Ipod or smartphone. Basic AM, FM, and CD capability with existing amp and speakers fill the bill. Thought of another question: Are these units marine application specific? Thanks. - Stuart
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Plug and play. If you stay with Kenwood you can use existing wiring harness as well.

They are NOT marine specific (at least mine and most HU's). You can get a Marine head unit if you like? Waste of the extra money if you want my opinion. It's usually in the glove box and out of the elements. I have marine speakers in the boat and marine amps but the deck i'm not too worried about.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet