Hybrid View

Default Problem with new Kicker ZXM700.5 amp

I replaced my stock ZX200.4 with a ZXM700.5 and after installation I tested everything and it was perfect. That was until I started the engine!

I am getting a really high pitched sound coming our of my speakers while playing music with the engine on.

With the engine off, its perfect.

Any idea what would cause this problem?
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Quote Originally Posted by deafgoose View Post
    I replaced my stock ZX200.4 with a ZXM700.5 and after installation I tested everything and it was perfect. That was until I started the engine!

I am getting a really high pitched sound coming our of my speakers while playing music with the engine on.

With the engine off, its perfect.

Any idea what would cause this problem?
    I had the same issue. My HU ground was connected to the starting battery neg and my amp's ground was connected to my stereo battery neg. I moved the HU ground to the the stereo batt ground and the noise went away. So check that every component in your stereo system is connected to the same battery, both pos and neg, and the noise should go away.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Al is right on with his suggestion. You are dealing with alternator whine, which is simply electrical interference. If you still have some of it after checking your ground, you can get ground loop filters that go inline with your RCA cables. They will help a great deal, too.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

deafgoose,
    Try and avoid using a ground loop isolator until the final solution because it still leaves the gound or supply loop intact.
    First, check that your input gains are not too high on the amplifier. Good tuning often resolves this especially if this amplifier is wired the same as the previous amplifer.
    Next, if you have dual batteries then make sure that no components are wired battery-direct. Everything should come from the dual battery switch common (output, not ground) post. This automatically eliminates a potential supply loop. If using a VSR then the scheme may be different in which case everything audio goes to the same battery.
    Next, sometimes the long route via the factory harness that supplies the HU introduces too much resistance. A new 14-ga to 12-ga B+ and ground can be run either to the same supply source or to the terminals, or closest to the terminals, of your largest amplifier or in this case the new amplifier. To close the noise inducing loop, and technically speaking, having the least potential between components in the signal path is more important than the supply path. However, if the amplifier is in very close proximity to the battery then this distinction is less relevant.
    Next, verify if the amplifier has a high and low input selection switch and make sure its set to the correct setting.
    Its always possible that a long and coincidental routing of the RCA cables and power cables could induce noise but its very improbable.
    A single shorted speaker wire, especially after a crossover series capacitor where its difficult to measure, can induce noise into all channels. You can simply remove all speakers and add one at a time until the noise re-appears.
    Those are the basics. Its usually a very quick and easy diagnosis.

David
    Earmark Marine

I had this before I switched head units. Run an 18awg wore from HU ground to Amp negative. Problem solved.
    2013 Outback V

Hmm.. Interesting.

Well my original amp had both the amp and HU grounded to the negative terminal on the battery.

You guys are talking about "stereo battery ground" and "starting battery ground" but I only have one battery. Where should I ground the HU?

My input gains are maxed out so maybe thats the problem.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.