Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little advice

Default A little advice

On my turns both toeside and heelside, sometimes I get water splashed up in my face coming out of the turn before I cross the wake. It's a little annoying. I have adjusted my boots back a little to try and prevent it. I'm sure it's my technique. Is it a boot adjustment, weight adjustment, wheelie turn??? Not a real big deal, but I would like to improve on it.
    '09 OBV

Is this slalom skiing? toe/heel side is a wakeboard term. onside and offside. If skiing, it is probably your technique. You should research and find the factory settings for your ski and bindings. Set your bindings there and then go from there. Most likely, you are too far back on the ski.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Yes, it is slalom. You are correct, don't know what I was thinking when I wrote the post. Just dazed I guess.
    I had the ski at factory settings when I was having the problem, then I tried moving it back. I will try moving it forward if you think I am too far back on the ski.
    '09 OBV

Are you getting slack when this happens? What speed and rope length are you skiing at? I'm just trying to picture what is happening. I've found it invaluable to have somebody record my skiing- I'll bet if you did that you could identify a difference in technique between the times when you get water in your face and when you don't. You could even post it on youtube and get some really good advise from some of our expert skiers (not me).

Be careful about moving the bindings around too much- I moved my bindings forward last year to correct what really was a technique problem and paid for it with a OTF fall and sprained ankle that still hurts me today.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Quote Originally Posted by skiyaker View Post
    Are you getting slack when this happens? What speed and rope length are you skiing at? I'm just trying to picture what is happening. I've found it invaluable to have somebody record my skiing- I'll bet if you did that you could identify a difference in technique between the times when you get water in your face and when you don't. You could even post it on youtube and get some really good advise from some of our expert skiers (not me).

Be careful about moving the bindings around too much- I moved my bindings forward last year to correct what really was a technique problem and paid for it with a OTF fall and sprained ankle that still hurts me today.

I ski at 31 mph at 15 off. I have been working at 22 off, but my boat has a fairly large wake at that length. I get some slack on my offside turn occasionally. I haven't really videoed myself, but I need to. I am not that great of a skier, but I am constantly striving to improve. I have a decent onside turn, but my offside needs some work, and the water in my face is distracting when I'm crossing the wake. On the OBV, I need all of the focus I can on wake crossing because of the size of the wake. I figure that if I can master the OBV, then a direct drive will be extremely easy.
    '09 OBV

How big and heavy are you? What kind of ski are you riding?
    2014 Centurion Carbon Pro

2004 Ski Nautique 196 LE - SOLD
    2004 Outback DD - SOLD
    1995 Supra TSM6 Comp - SOLD

2017 - 67" Radar Lithium Vapor Pro Build w/ Radar Vapor Boa Bindings

Stay STACKED & Pull HARD!!!

I am 6'2", 195 lbs. I have a Connelly FX 69" with Stoker Double bindings.
    '09 OBV

If you ever make down to Tampa, give me a call and we can work on it behind my Outback.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Smile

As someone mentioned ,if you ever have the chance to video tape some skiing you will probably be able to tell what you are doing wrong fairly easily or you can get a coach or Pro look at and tell you what you are doing.

In this day and age its quite simple even if you just use a simple camera and video it . I went down to Florida and had Chris Parrish as a personal coach for a couple days and we discussed a couple issues i was to work on. I sent video by email and he replied with some giggles first then simple advice to help correct me. There are lots of ways to go about this but just seeing it yourself may be all you need.

As for making adjustments ,usually they are not warrented and should be done in only the slightest incriments only.Also write down or remember the stock settings so you have something to go back to. Most skis are set up to suit the masses and unless you really know what you are doing is it really worth it?
    07 Outback DD

I used to think I was qualified to give advice - but no longer. I strongly suggest getting a lesson from a qualified slalom instructor. I just started doing this in the last couple of years - after 35 years of skiing from home videos and magazines. That all helped but nothing compared to skiing with someone who knows what they are talking about. I wish I had taken lessons 30 years ago.

If you can't get to a lesson, I strongly recommend Andy Mapple videos. He made two with Gordon Rathbun at Ski Paradise. The first is pretty techincal for serious course skiers. The second is what I would recommend for you:
    http://www.bartswatersports.com/cata...1883/index.asp

As I write this I am wrapping up a 6 day shot with Doug Meeker at The Liquid Edge, finishing with a hard set coached by Wade Cox. Overall great experience. Coaching in general is a great way to vaoid developing bad habits (that stick with you for decades). Just like golf - even the Pros use a coach or get lessons.

I would recommend putting your bindings back to factory settings. Correct form will not splash you in the face unless maybe a strong headwind.

Good luck - it will get better with practice.
    Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off