Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by squeeg333 View Post
    Well crap then! I know you asked the question before, but did you hear anything/find anything about leaving this circuit open all the time? I'm thinking of doing that in lieu of fishing a wire back to the starter.
    Did you try this? I'm also thinking of doing the same.
    2004 Moomba LSV Blue

The SI option is virtually pointless, for the following reasons:

-Many times when you start, the batteries aren't combined anyway, due to voltage on the 'house' battery vs. the start battery.

-If the batteries are combined when you start, the ACR will separate House and Start almost instantly, due to the voltage drop from the starter cranking, giving you essentially the same benefit that you'd see from the SI circuit.

-If you are running a single battery, or dual battery without the ACR, you don't have Starter Interrupt - this is how the boats come from the factory, and nobody has had any issues with it for the last 20+ years, lol.

Long story short, save yourself the headache. I'm running my ACR without the SI hooked up.
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    The SI option is virtually pointless, for the following reasons:

-Many times when you start, the batteries aren't combined anyway, due to voltage on the 'house' battery vs. the start battery.

-If the batteries are combined when you start, the ACR will separate House and Start almost instantly, due to the voltage drop from the starter cranking, giving you essentially the same benefit that you'd see from the SI circuit.

-If you are running a single battery, or dual battery without the ACR, you don't have Starter Interrupt - this is how the boats come from the factory, and nobody has had any issues with it for the last 20+ years, lol.

Long story short, save yourself the headache. I'm running my ACR without the SI hooked up.
    I disagree with your first two points. To your first point, when you are changing riders and shut off the engine, the ACR will stay combined since the voltage on both batteries will be above 12.75. I have a remote LED on the dash and the light stays on so I can confirm this.

To your second point, the ACR will NOT "separate House and Start almost instantly, due to the voltage drop from the starter cranking". The voltage in one battery has to be below 12.75 volts for 2 min. or below 12.35 volts for 10 seconds for the ACR to open (this is stated in the manual). This is exactly what the SI circuit does - it causes the ACR to open instantly when the starter is engage, if the SI wire is properly hooked up.

No comment on your third point but we hear of lots of cases where someone's stereo suddenly died. How do we know that it's not due to the sudden drop in voltage from the starter being engaged?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I did pull the fuse a while back, and things have worked well so far. I can't comment on the safety of the setup, or anything to that effect, but I know that so far, things are working well. I would like to re-connect that circuit, since I went to the trouble of routing the wire for the SI circuit. I just haven't had any time at all to mess with it (I'm still kind of hoping that Al will do some testing for me/us)!!!
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Same here - I just disconnected the SI wire and have not gotten around to running a wire to the starter yet. Probably won't get to it until after the boating season is over.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    I disagree with your first two points. To your first point, when you are changing riders and shut off the engine, the ACR will stay combined since the voltage on both batteries will be above 12.75. I have a remote LED on the dash and the light stays on so I can confirm this.

To your second point, the ACR will NOT "separate House and Start almost instantly, due to the voltage drop from the starter cranking". The voltage in one battery has to be below 12.75 volts for 2 min. or below 12.35 volts for 10 seconds for the ACR to open (this is stated in the manual). This is exactly what the SI circuit does - it causes the ACR to open instantly when the starter is engage, if the SI wire is properly hooked up.

No comment on your third point but we hear of lots of cases where someone's stereo suddenly died. How do we know that it's not due to the sudden drop in voltage from the starter being engaged?
    I usually don't shut off when picking up riders, and if I do its probably for more than 2 minutes, so I guess that would explain why that makes sense for me.

I also have a remote LED, and every time I start the boat, the ACR seperates (light goes off), which is what I was basing that statement on
    2013 Outback V

Any help would be appreciated I have hooked my SI wire into the ignition wire Brown wire for a Yamaha outboard older motor probably mid 90’s. This is the Start wire in my manual anyways I can’t verify that it is working and I don’t want it to give me problems as you guys have described. I am an electrician so I can follow instructions to verify if it is working if anyone knows how I have tried to measure voltage by using my meter from the SI while hooked up to the ACR to ground while turning the engine over and wasn’t able to get anything. It will be hard for me to flop the gear shift all open and measured voltage off of the relay inside the gear shifter while turning the key over to see if I have it spliced in to the proper side of this start wire. I was wondering if I spliced into the wire that runs directly to my ignition and the other side runs to a relay if I am on the proper side of the wire..

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdogmm View Post
    Any help would be appreciated I have hooked my SI wire into the ignition wire Brown wire for a Yamaha outboard older motor probably mid 90’s. This is the Start wire in my manual anyways I can’t verify that it is working and I don’t want it to give me problems as you guys have described. I am an electrician so I can follow instructions to verify if it is working if anyone knows how I have tried to measure voltage by using my meter from the SI while hooked up to the ACR to ground while turning the engine over and wasn’t able to get anything. It will be hard for me to flop the gear shift all open and measured voltage off of the relay inside the gear shifter while turning the key over to see if I have it spliced in to the proper side of this start wire. I was wondering if I spliced into the wire that runs directly to my ignition and the other side runs to a relay if I am on the proper side of the wire..
    Typically, you want a circuit that 12V+ when the starter is engaged ONLY, for the SI. Should be able to find this off the back of the key switch.