Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Security??

Default Security??

I have been considering getting an alarm installed on my boat...and have not been able to find much. I researched this blog and found this thread.
    https://forum.moomba.com/read.php?TID=1493

Smokedog had a pretty involved idea..but I am going to be keeping my boat at a sort of secluded marina. The marina really caters to fishermen...and my boat would be the prize pick out there. Especially with the tower/speakers/racks, etc. I will cover it each night, but that will only help in keeping the rain out.....not interested thieves.

Has anyone here installed an alarm on their boat? Pics/Pricing?

Thanks!

Default Replying to Topic 'Security??'

If the alarm goes off, how close are you? Once I get robbed I'll likely go with voicealam. They look good to me. I picked up a VCR record system at Radio Shack for the house. It works well.

I would install quick disconects and take those little stealables with me.

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

I would remove everything from the tower. If not, run a supervisory circuit through your components so when the wire is cut the alarm will activate. There ought to be a system that can call your cell phone plus have an active horn if you want them to leave right away. When I stop at a public dock for the day or overnight, I hide all the goodies before I get there and if I plan to come back I hide them when I leave. Pain in the butt to do but (pardon the pun) with quick disconnects it doesn't take too long. The rack I leave on the boat as it requires an allen wrench that most thieves usually don't carry and the screws are well hidden so at night they wouldn't figure it out until I come along and they ask me and then I give them the 3 Strooges knuckle sandwich. Woop Woop.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Part of the problem is that I live 20 miles from the marina. A cell phone call would be useless for me...I suppose other than to phone the police. The quick disconnect idea is good for everything that would release easily. Part of the reason for getting the dock is to get on and off the water quickly, taking advantage of all the time I can get on the water- after I leave the office. I am assuming that a horn screaming at any punk trying to remove anything from my boat may work. I like the voicealarm idea.
    Until I get quick disconnects or an alarm, I may just chain the speakers/racks onto the tower.....classy.

I was looking as well for some type of security devices for boats and located a cool mat, pressure activated system. the very thin mats go on the floor of the boat I guess you would cover them with something and if someone steps inside the boat the pressure of the person in the boat would set it off.. pretty cool I just havent decided on the best answer to the question yet.

I dont know how you would prevent anything from happening when you are that far away from the Marina. I would say bring it with you! Or keep it somewhere they have security
    2005 Moomba Outback

I would try something creative like a voice alarm that warns them to leave immediately or face serous injury or death, tell them they have 10 seconds to leave the boat, after the 10 seconds are up use the floor mats send 110 volts coursing throught their body, five 1 second blasts should be sufficient. Another way is to place a couple of "pet" rattlesnakes or cobras in the boat.

Pete

Or your mother in law!

NOW THAT would scare even the most hardened criminal away!!!
    2005 Moomba Outback

smrtz

Where did you see the mats?

My boat is ou of sight down the hill from the lake house and I sometimes leave stuff in the boat.

tx

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

I just googled boat alarms I will see if I can find it again and post the link when I do
    2005 Moomba Outback

Pete, I love your idea! LOL

Wouldnt it be great to find some would be thief unconscious and sucking his thumb on the floor of your boat? I would probably use Arnold's voice for the voice alarm....GET OOOUUUUTT!!!!

Smrtz, pressure activated matts are a great idea as well....I hope you can find the site again!